Reload this Page >

Brazilian Real vs. U.S. Dollar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 01:08 AM
dave h

Hi. Does anyone have a good guess as to what the Real will do against the Dollar in the next few months?<BR>Brazilian economic/currency news is hard to come by in the U.S. Thanks.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Simone

Dave,<BR>Unfortunately I don´t think so. If this person exists, he/she can really earn lots of money. IMHO the value is around 1USD=2.50R$. But for americans everything is really cheap around here.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Surlok

Dave,<BR><BR>Since Brazil as economy is not strong as is the US economy, the dollar rate is affected by any crisis that happens around the world, as it has been affected by the Argentinean crisis, and the WTC tragedy. While the dollar rate was dropping down all over the world, it raised here.<BR><BR>Fortunataly to us, Brazilians, it seems that lately, for the last two weeks, there's been some confidence in the Brazilian economy, as well a detachment from Argentina and its crisis ( the understanding that Brazil and Argentina are different countries, with different rules and diverse as economy and policies) is helping to bring the dollar back to a more realistic rate. In the last three months, it fluctuated around 2,80 Reais per A.Dollar, and the experts are thinking that in the next two months the rate might drop to 2,30 or even less.<BR><BR>However, there's no guarantee. As a (still) third world country, in transition to the First world, anything and everything is possible.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Surlok

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:06 AM
dave h

Thank you Surlok. <BR> I have been noticing the strength of the Real since the Dollar peaked a couple of months ago. Argentina must be repaying its debt to Brazil, I'm happy to conclude. <BR> Hopefully Brazilians will visit the U.S. in large numbers like in the past and I'm happy to say that I will be visiting Brazil in the near future. Thank you again.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Surlok

Dave,<BR><BR>Is mostly, I believe, the international financial institutions, like the IMF, and others, that finally realized that although being both countries in S. America, their circumstances are not the same, nor are their economy and policies. Of course, if Argentina sinks, we'll get some of the splash, but we won't sink together. Brazil can stand on its own.<BR><BR>Last, but not least, you're (both ways) very welcome!<BR><BR>Surlok