Brazil trip report - part 3

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brazil trip report - part 3

Day 9: Salvador still, and as it was Monday, more of the museums were open. The Museo de Cidade is small but interesting with historical artefacts and more contemporary painting from local artists. We also had the opportunity to look inside churches and wander the sretts of the Pelourinho which have lots of character.

Day 10: A lunchtime flight to Rio and as it was a clear day, we finally got our opporunity to go to Sugarloaf before going on to Buzios. It was mid-late afternoon when we got there, which was nice as it wasn't too busy, and the light was stunning over the city. We also got the change to walk amongst some of the hillside forest where there are interesting plants and wildlife, as well as seeing the entertaining monkeys frolicking near the gift shop! The drive to Buzios was about 2.5 hours (possibly a bit longer as we hit Rio Rush hour crossing the Niteroi bridge!) and by the time we got to Casa Brancas it was time for a welcoming drink, a shower and dinner at the pousada's restaurant. Stunning setting, wonderful and imaginative seafood, lovely service, and the closest we came to London restaurant prices all holiday (but even so it seemed an excllent price to us!!).

Day 11: Spent the day at Praia Joao Fernandes and made that most terrible of British faux pas, by getting rather sunburned in the space of a few hours - despite lashings of factor 15 and 25, and the shade of a beach umbrella! Still, after all the rushing about of the previous days of our trip, it was great to relax with a book in the shade, and we enjoyed a wonderful Argentian meal out that night (comedy moment, when the restaurant grill caught fire, much to the amusement of passers by, as the waiters had to get up on the roof with fire extinguishers to put the flames frmm the chimney out!).

Days 12-13: Mainly spent relaxing in the shade to let the sunburn calm down(!) although the afternoons were cloudy and there was some rain. In true Brit fashion, we found a mini/crazy golf course and spent a hilarious hour or so, playing in the rain! Buzios is the beach playground for rich cariocas and argentines - it feels a million miles away from some of the 'real' Brazil, yet it is an 'easy' beach resort to visit. Safe, clean, entertaining, cosmopolitan and friendly. Much as I liked it, I found other parts of ouf holiday more exciting, interesting and challenging.

Day 14: Back to Rio for our flight home to London in the early afternoon.

Fascinating country, great people, not 'easy' at times, but the trip of a lifetime!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:28 PM

As a brazilian guy,I'm very happy you felt safe and confortable in your trip!Hope you come back again soon!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:48 AM

What a great trip report series! Sounds like you really managed to keep the schedule full --- maximizing the vacation time to its fullest. Awesome!

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM

The sun is fierce there! On the Amazon I got burned in spite of 45 sunscreen. Thanks for all of the info on your wonderful trip. Definitely added some things for the next time I am in Brazil (which I hope will be soon!)
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:43 AM

Thanks for the excellent reports. We are going in December and have printed out your reports. Sorry Hotel Tropical Das Cataratas is a bit shabby. We have reservations...should we stay there? Still trying to make up our minds about Buzios? Is there a different beach resort you think better for us? We like hotels with pools as well as good beaches. We will be traveling with two kids ages 6 and 9. Want "Brazil" feel as well at the beach. Thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Elaine,
I would still stay at the Tropical Das Cataratas as the location right by the falls is fantastic. You will save time by not having to travel from Foz do Iguacu to the park and back, although it will still take about 45 mins to get to the Argentinian side. I would think it is a good hotel to take children too as well, as they have a nice large pool and I also saw a playroom.

I have heard that Parati and Ilha Grande are also very nice beach resorts, although I haven't been to either of them. It may be that there is more Brazilian character there, although I don't know what the hotels are like etc. In Buzios, my impressions were that whilst some pousadas had pools, they were generally quite small as most people went to the many beaches.

Watch this space, as I'll be posting a link to photos soon!

Hope you have a wonderful trip in December.