Brazil or Argentina?

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brazil or Argentina?

several single women traveling in July. looking for nightlife, sun, cultural sites, and overall a goodtime. money is not a problem, although some insight into an estimated cost would be nice. thank you.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Hello Pollyands:

Me and my "posse" of women are traveling to SA in August. I am the designated "planner" so I can give a little bit of help from what others have given to me.

This is a huge trip and I have less than 10% of the wealth of information and options digested.

"Everyone" says travel to SA is cheap to inexpensive. Venezuela is said to be a do not miss for nightlife if you can swing it.

My Fodor's South America Travel Book is EXCELLENT. My Frommers and Footprint 2004 SA are also pretty good. If cost is no object buy all three and then lend them to your companions with a small assignment for them to tackle...

My posse don't do homework but it gets me appreciated MORE and they let me make major decisions for all of us(smile).

I posted a question about a DREAM trip to SA and the feedback may be helpful to you.

I have to laugh because ONLY my husband wants me to nail down an estimated cost...

Happy Travels
Oaktown Traveler
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

thanx oaktown traveler, i'll look up your DREAM trip and pick-up the fodors.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Hi Pollyands, why not both, Argentina and Brazil.'? For cultural sites, night life, tango music, cafes and absolutely real bargains Argentina is tops
In July you could spend at least 4 days in Buenos AIres in a nice hotel, there are really chic ,exciting hotels like the Four SeaSons and the ALvear Palace . tShould you stay in the last one you will feel that you are in an elegant hotel in Paris or Rome.
Attend at least one show at one of the most beautiful Opera Houses in the world, The Teatro >>Colon, cafes like the Tortoni listening to tango music are a must and sipping capucinos....Buenos Aires can offer this and much more.shopping is also exciting. Great coiffeurs at a bargain too.
I would catch a plane and fly both to Iguazu and spend a couple of nights at the Sheraton Iguazu facing the famous water falls and also fly South West to Bariloche, staying at nearby Llao >Llao in the Hotel Llao LLao, or if not in downtown Bariloche in one of the good hotels. It is a nice little town similar to Cortina in the Dolomites, you can also ski in July.
Weaher permiting I would cross the ANDES doing the so called Lake Crossing a combined route of land and water that takes you to Chile.I also would spend a couple of days there and then comeback to ARGENTINA either to Bariloche or Villa ANGOSTURA, ...Mendoza and its Bodegas are an option too , there the Hyatt is the place to be.
Go to wowargentina.com.ar and find a lot of informatiion by the way this company arranged our trip and we were delighted with them. Ask for Cintia.
From >Buenos AIRES you can fly to Rio and from RIO BACk to the States.
Rio is a beautiful city and weather is hotter there than in Bs AS in July. GOOD luck
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Maybe 2/3 days in Sao Paulo will be great if you're interested in nightlife. Sao Paulo has the best clubs and restaurants all over SA. You can stay at the Emiliano hotel (beautifull, nice amenities and well located).

When you say "sun" please remember that it would be freezing in Argentina in July. Sao Paulo is much better but temperatures would be colder than Rio.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Oaktown traveler,

Just an opinion from a hard traveler: the nightlife in Venezuela is good but nothing compared to Sao Paulo. If you take Rio and Caracas I would say that Caracas has a better nightlife.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Nino:

Thanks! You are the best.

I figure if we start our journey partying in Venezuela then when we hit Brazil at the end of our trip then that would be the other place where we would really party.

Is that right?

This is fun!

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 06:26 AM

Oaktown,

If you really want to go to Venezuela go to Maracaibo, not Caracas. It's safer and more beautifull.

Nino
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:41 AM

Don't matter what anyone says, DON'T MISS RIO DE JANEIRO, it's unique. If u want parties, fun, natural wonders, beaches, crazy ppl and an unforgettable trip, here is the place.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:16 AM

For that time of year, Brazil. Rio DJ (or farther north), not Sao Paulo. It would be too cold in Buenos Aires in July for me (avg high of 59F, avg low of 41F).
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:18 AM

If you're American, this isn't a good time to go to Brazil.

Brazil now requires fingerprinting of all Americans visiting, because a federal judge there compared Americans to 'nazis' because of our anti-terrorism measures.

Friends who got caught up in this have told us that they experienced incredible delays - over 10 hours - so they could be fingerprinted.

Obviously, the best way to avoid this harrassment is to visit someplace other than Brazil.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Dear Jaques, I'm Brazilian and I don't think this policy is the right thing for us to do but for some people down here this is the way to opose against the US-Visit regulations. In this forum you'll find a great discussion on this subject.
This is not the case to cancel a visit to our country. The problem with big lines only happened the first week and since yesterday the authorities are using an electronic device for the fingerprints (no ink anymore). Americans would have to wait no more than 15 minutes to be fingerprinted. Again, I disagree with this policy but it shouldn't be a big issue anymore.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Nino - thanks for your response.

I understand that many people abroad and here in the US dislike or are uncomfortable with these new procedures. The main objection among people here is with the comments of the brazilian judge who instituted that policy.

Anyway, I found the other thread you mentioned, and I'll confine any other comments on the subject to that thread.

Happy trails

Jaques