Search

Brazil - Need ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brazil - Need ideas

Hello I have been to Rio already. I am wanting to return to Brazil again. But this time I want to explore some areas that I have not been before. I know that Brazil is immense. I plan to see the architecture in Brasilia by Oscar Niemeyer. But I hear I only need about maybe two days or so for Brasilia. So I am left with now what other cities to visit. So if any of you have any suggestions of must sees I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 02:48 AM

Old Feb 16th, 2003, 07:53 AM

REPLY - PART 1<BR>Good afternoon.<BR><BR>Yes, 2 days in Bras&iacute;lia will be enough.<BR><BR>Besides many other cities which deserve visiting them, Brasil offers plenty of &quot;ecological&quot; destinations, which may also interest you. Let me show a few wonderful possibilities.<BR><BR>SALVADOR<BR><BR>Salvador is in the northeast, approx. 3 hours flight from Rio de Janeiro. Salvador is a major costal city, one of the oldest in Brasil, where our african roots are the more visible. Beautiful colonial buildings finely restored, a unique &quot;african&quot; culture which strongly pervades and displays everything, from the mood of the people, passing by its extraordinary culture, and delicious typical food. Some very fine museums and historic churchs. Both the north and south coast of Salvador, besides the city itself, exhibit an uninterrupt array of very fine beachs. Salvador and its coast could easily justify staying there 1 week, however, 3 full days will suffice to explore its major highlights. General information and photos: www.bahia.com.br (Salvador and beyond, portuguese / english).<BR><BR>FERNANDO DE NORONHA<BR><BR>Still in the northeast, you may visit the National Marine Park of Fernando de Noronha, a cluster of volcanic islands 450 km away from the coast, very well-preserved, which exhibits some of the most wonderful beaches of Brasil, a crystal-clear blue and tepid water (swimming, diving, snorkelling), breeding grounds of some species of marine turtles, dolphins, boat promenades etc. Fernando de Noronha will ask for 2 full days, so you must allow extra-time for the transit in/out. You must book a package to go there, your starting point may be Salvador or Rio de Janeiro. The access is controlled, the limitation of domestic resourses (mainly water) forbids flooding the place with tourists, to avoid degrading the environment. General information and photos : www.freeway-adventures.com.br (Fernando de Noronha and many other places, only portuguese).<BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 07:55 AM

REPLY - PART 1<BR><BR>2 days in Bras&iacute;lia will be enough.<BR><BR>Besides many other cities which deserve visiting them, Brasil offers plenty of &quot;ecological&quot; destinations, which may also interest you. Let me show a few wonderful possibilities.<BR><BR>SALVADOR<BR><BR>Salvador is in the northeast, approx. 3 hours flight from Rio de Janeiro. Salvador is a major costal city, one of the oldest in Brasil, where our african roots are the more visible. Beautiful colonial buildings finely restored, a unique &quot;african&quot; culture which strongly pervades and displays everything, from the mood of the people, passing by its extraordinary culture, and delicious typical food. Some very fine museums and historic churchs. Both the north and south coast of Salvador, besides the city itself, exhibit an uninterrupt array of very fine beachs. Salvador and its coast could easily justify staying there 1 week, however, 3 full days will suffice to explore its major highlights. General information and photos: www.bahia.com.br (Salvador and beyond, portuguese / english).
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:51 AM

REPLY - PART 2<BR><BR>FOZ DO IGUA&Ccedil;U<BR><BR>In the southweast, you may discover Foz do Igua&ccedil;u, a very, very big waterfall inside the Natural Park of (river) Igua&ccedil;u, on the border Brasil-Argentina. Some people prefer going to Argentina to visit them. It's true, the argentinian side of the cataracts is more beautiful than the brazilian side. But, for the very same reason, the brazilian side offers the best views. Visit the waterfalls on foot, experience the thrill of boarding a boat which brings you very close to the thundering bottom of the waterfalls (of course, you will be soaked to the bones). Foz do Igua&ccedil;u asks for at least 1 full day, so allow extra-time for both transits in/out, it is approx. 2 hours flight from Rio de Janeiro. General information and photos: www.uol.com.br/cidadesonline/pr/fozdoiguacu/ (only portuguese)<BR><BR>OTHER DESTINATIONS<BR><BR>There are places I know, in the coast of northeast, not yet fully developed, with gorgeous beaches in a pristine state, where you may forget the passage of time, staying in very nice and comfortable small hotels, or even luxury resorts. There are many &quot;ecological&quot; destinations and programs, most of them so fantastic, but usually one full week must be aloted for. Have a look at www.freeway-adventures.com.br (they are a reliable, well-established and first-quality tour operator, I usually book their trips). Last December I went to Chapada Diamantina, it was great.<BR>
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:55 AM

REPLY - PART 2<BR><BR>FOZ DO IGUA&Ccedil;U<BR><BR>In the southweast, you may discover Foz do Igua&ccedil;u, a very, very big waterfall inside the Natural Park of (river) Igua&ccedil;u, on the border Brasil-Argentina. Some people prefer going to Argentina to visit them. It's true, the argentinian side of the cataracts is more beautiful than the brazilian side. But, for the very same reason, the brazilian side offers the best views. Visit the waterfalls on foot, experience the thrill of boarding a boat which brings you very close to the thundering bottom of the waterfalls (of course, you will be soaked to the bones). Foz do Igua&ccedil;u asks for at least 1 full day, so allow extra-time for both transits in/out, it is approx. 2 hours flight from Rio de Janeiro. General information and photos: www.uol.com.br/cidadesonline/pr/fozdoiguacu/ (only portuguese)<BR><BR>OTHER DESTINATIONS<BR><BR>There are places I know, in the coast of northeast, not yet fully developed, with gorgeous beaches in a pristine state, where you may forget the passage of time, staying in very nice and comfortable small hotels, or even luxury resorts. There are many &quot;ecological&quot; destinations and programs, most of them so fantastic, but usually one full week must be aloted for. Have a look at www.freeway-adventures.com.br (they are a reliable, well-established and first-quality tour operator, I usually book their trips). Last December I went to Chapada Diamantina, it was great.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:58 AM

REPLY - PART 3<BR><BR>TRAVEL GUIDES<BR><BR>Very good travel guides are available in english, one or two of them will help you nicely. For example: www.uol.com.br/publifolha/ Open, click on &quot;livros&quot;, then click on &quot;cat&aacute;logo&quot;, then scroll down utill you find &quot;Guias Philips&quot;, then click on the guides you want to meet. Each guide's own home page exhibits the button &quot;leia mais&quot; for detailed information.<BR><BR>TRAVELLING INSIDE BRASIL<BR><BR>For short trips (up to 600 km) you may board a bus, there are plenty of them, comfortable and safe. For longer trips, you may buy abroad a brazilian domestic airpass, allowing you low-cost domestic transportation. Alternatively, there is a reliable brazilian low-fare air company, GOL: www.voegol.com.br (you can book).<BR><BR>(SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE MESSAGES)<BR>