Bosque del Cabo or El Remanso?

Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosque del Cabo or El Remanso?

My hubby and I are planning a trip to Osa in July and would like to stay somewhere where we can see lots of wildlife. We're trying to decide between Bosque del Cabo and El Remanso, both seem perfect. We really would like some privacy and since it might rain while we're there, we're fine with sitting in our room and enjoying a view. It sounds like most of these type of lodges have a good chance of wildlife (monkeys, birds, etc...), are we more likely to see wildlife at one lodge or another? That would be a deciding factor.

Also, is it a better idea to stay in Drake bay or Pt Jiminez if we want to do boat tours or other tours? Sounds like it costs $30 pp rt to go from the lodges to Puerto Jiminez for tours and such. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Cheryl
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM

We've only stayed at Bosque del Cabo, but we saw all 4 kinds of monkeys, a sloth, toucans, scarlet macaws, coatis, agouti, and an anteater there. Monkeys swung right in front of our cabin daily. They have really well maintained hiking trails too.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM

I've stayed at Bosque several times; I stayed at both this past November. ER has a lot going for it, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. But, but, between the two? Bosque wins hands down for me. Although they are right next door to each other (although still a good hike between the two) I was surprised by the amount of wildlife difference between the them. Maybe due to the amount of acreage BdC has, and the variety (hills, flat land etc) but I saw more in 1 day at Bosque than I had at ER.

Also, as Bosque is on the cliff, it overlooks the water whereas at ER it is built farther back and the land slopes down to the ocean, so you can see the ocean/gulf but it's farther away thru the trees.

I'll post my trip report link and pics link if you like so you see the difference. Think my trip report pretty much says what I did above.

Pics - http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...i-alajuela.cfm

Trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...i-nov-2009.cfm

You can't go wrong either way, just personally I love Bosque...2 weeks and some change I will be there again!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM

From Drake Bay, tours like Canos Island, fishing, Corcovado are easier. From Puerto Jimenez tours like mangrove kayaking, animal sanctuary. From Cabo Matapalo you can horseback and do independent and guided hikes. Bosque del Cabo and El Remanso are at Cabo Matapalo.

I've only stayed at BDC, but as vgirl mentions the wildlife sightings are amazing and the views are wonderful. The meals are also delicious. I just love this place. The trails are varied in length and intensity. I will be spending a week in Osa in July as well, 3 nights Drake Bay and 4 nights at BDC (the shortest time I've ever spent there and I'm not sure I'm ok with that yet)!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your helpful and honest feedback. It's great to have this forum and it's fun to hear about adventures that other folks have had.

tully - thanks for the trip report, it was awesome!

Any tours that are "must sees"? Is going to Cano a worthwhile trip? I don't swim but my husband likes to snorkel so we're considering it. The wildlife sanctuary sounds great but the price to get there seems a bit steep. I'd like to venture into Corcovado but it sounds like we'll see plenty at BdC so we may just play that by ear.

Thanks!
Cheryl