Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Bosque Del Cabo, CR - Pic Request... Help Needed!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,

My name is Joe and my girlfriend and I will be headed down to the lovely Bosque del Cabo resort on the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica in a few weeks.

I've read so many great reviews about the place and it sounds like we'll really enjoy our stay there! Everything is all lined up and ready to go, there's just one small detail I could use some help with...

I need to find some snakes!!! Many of you will shrug your shoulders and be like, "that's easy, they're everywhere at bosque...." But, I'm not satisfied with the occasional encounter, I need to really get down and dirty and find all that i can on the bosque grounds! My girlfriend and I are going there to have a nice romantic and relaxing getaway, but ever since i was a toddler I've been obsessed with reptiles and amphibians and you can bet that I'm not going to let this opportunity pass by without giving 100% effort to find whatever i can! There will be times when i'll strike out on my own while she's reading by the pool.

What would REALLY be awesome is if someone could tell me about the following features at bosque and if anyone can produce a picture or two, that would be phenomenal!

- The ponds! I've heard there are several ponds of varying sizes at bosque. I cant seem to search any pics for them online, but they must be chock full of amphibians and snakes, which are of huge interest to me. How many ponds are there? how big are they? is there open water or are they choked by vegetation. Any pics???

- The "white gate" I have heard there is an abandoned structure near this white gate pickup point and the reason this interests me is because snakes like abandoned structures. Often there are piles of stone, wood or other junk laying around abandoned structures and this makes excellent cover for snakes. Has anyone seen this structure and do you have any pics???

- Piles of Junk - This may sound odd, but one of the best places to find snakes and other reptiles is under junk like boards, metal, concrete etc... I was wondering if anyone had noticed any places on the bosque grounds or nearby where there was some junk laying around??? Boards stacked behind a building, a small dump for junk or anything like that???? Even private residences nearby might work if i can get permission from the property owner. This is known as "AC" or "artificial cover"

- Lastly, did anyone see any open rocky areas??? Is there a hillside that is rather open and grassy that has a lot of rocks to turn over??? The whole place looks like dense rainforest, but if there is a ranch nearby or some cattle-grazed land i could hunt around on that would be great!

Well thanks very much to anyone willing to help out with this unusual request for info and pics!!!!

Joe
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Phillip is their resident guru; I'm sure he would be able to point you in the right direction once you get there. He told us that a poacher got killed by a bushmaster on the property. They also had a coral snake in the dining room once. He told us he almost stepped on a Fer de Lance going back to his cabin one night. Friends of ours saw a bird eating snake there. There are plenty of logs lying around when you're hiking. They told us to be very careful of putting our hands or feet anywhere near fallen logs. They're definitely out there, but we didn't see a single one. You might also check on going on the night hike that they offer. That could give you some good opportunities.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Sorry I can't help with the pictures - but if I remember, isn't the white gate the marker for the trail to the beach? The Golfo Dulce trail? The pond I know of is somewhat close to the dining area I think. I know when you go on the evening hike you're taken to that pond to find frogs etc.

We saw several snakes at BDC, including the bird eating snake that volanogirl mentions - at least that's what we were told it was. We saw a few snakes just climbing on the chairs in the dining area! We weren't actively looking for any snakes, and in the 3 days we were there, I think we saw at least 4 or 5 different snakes at different times.

I think you're going to have a blast Joe!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks volcanogirl and shellD!!! Sounds encouraging!

ShellD, what time of year were you there??? I'm guessing it was during one of the cooler months...

Thanks again guys!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM

We were there in early May. I can't remember the temperatures, but it wasn't cool, especially during the days. Sleeping at night was comfortable though.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Ok, ShellD... thanks again for your feedback! Your accounts have me pretty dang excited! The "bird snake" you're referring to is Pseustes poecilonotus, a species i would absolutely love to get my hands on and photograph!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM

You should have a pretty easy time of it, escept the tercipelo can be hard to find sometimes (which probably isn't a bad thing overall). Always lots to see at the small pond by the restaurant at night, the cat eye snakes. Seen a couple of the vine snakes and had what Philip described as a 'juve bird eater' on my porch at Mariposa. He was kind enough to retrieve and relocate it for me. I agree Philip would be your best bet and also Carlos as he does the birding tours and see the grounds a lot.

I don't think you have to go so far afield as the white gate to look for snakes, the grounds at BdC is over 750 acres, with a wide variety of terrain and rocks, trees, etc.

Actually, there is a small turn on the 'back' way to the Tropical Garden and Golfo Dulce trail. Go over the small little wooden bridge and where the path forks veer left (they both come out later on same trail). Maybe 1-2 minutes walking the path turns to the right and Carlos said there is almost always a tercipelo hanging out there. In fact, some people there took a pic of it (with no clue what it was) and he instantly knew where they'd taken the pic. Of course when I went later to look it wasn't there but seems like it's there a lot.

Good luck and have fun (and safely!)
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Shell - you did?! In the dining area?!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Joe, I share your passion for snakes and especially amphibians. I have been to BDC twice and have seen lots of both.

Here is my photo gallery from our latest trip:
http://focusedonnature.smugmug.com/g...73505495_HadfY

Here is the photo gallery from the first trip.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atdahl/...7594540625660/

Both trips were in February (one in '07 and the other in '09). Feel free to email me directly through my website or Flickr if you have any questions. Here is a summary that I hope will help.

Snakes:
- You probably know this, but walk slowly on the trails, watch you step and keep your eyes open.
- As Tully says, cat-eyed snakes are present every night in the small pond near the road. We also went to the big pond in the garden at night but didn't seen any snakes. But, the Basilisks like to hang out here.
- We also saw two snakes (Neotropical Bird snake and Oriole snake) deep in the jungle right along the trail. Both of these encounters were heart pounding because the snakes were right off the trail and one jumped off the trail right as I stepped near it.
- There aren't too many junk piles that I can remember but you can look under the cabinas, around the massage platform, off the Titi trail is an open field and some structures that might yield something as well.
- Our last trip, we just missed a Green Vine Snake that climbed a palm tree right by the pool. The bartender told us, but the snake was deep in the palm and we couldn't see it.

Frogs:
- We saw Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs both trips. First trip, every morning they were along the trail from the lodge to the suspension bridge right where a right hand branch takes you towards a cliff top view. Last trip we didn't see any here despite my searching. The last trip, we did see 2 on the Pacific Trail at the first left hand switchback.
- Golfo Dulce Poison Dart Frog. Seen the first trip on the Pacific Trail under the mini-water fall caused by water coming across the trail about half way down. No luck in the same location our last trip
- Smoky Jungle Frogs at BIG and always at the small pond each night. We saw 3 there one night.
- Red-eyed Green Tree frog can be heard at both ponds. It's "chirping" is very distinct. Philip says that it was too dry last year for them to come down from the trees. But we managed to see one small one last year and a mature adult the first trip both at the small pond. I would search near the small pond since it is really easy to wind around and try to locate them
- At the small pond we also saw other tree frogs that I haven't been able to identify
- At the small pond we almost always saw a Marine Toad as well.
- At the large pond we saw lots of Banana Frogs. That pond is LOUD at night with the sound of frogs...you will love it.
- Finally, believe it or not but you can easily see frogs EVERY night without going out into the jungle at all. When the lights go out at the pool, the Masked Smilisca's come out to party. We saw one on a bar stool and the rest just chilling in and around the pool. Its a great sight!

There are some open grassy areas on site like the tropical garden and the grassy area near the Titi trail I already mentioned. There are lots of cattle farms on the way to BDC and you might get a driver to take you there but I assume you would need permission to go on private land.

Phew...that's a long post. I hope it helps. Have a great time and please share your trip report and photos with us.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:37 AM

volcanogirl - yup! It was lounging right on one of the chairs! It was between meals though!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Tully, Thanks very much for the help! I'm really getting excited! I'd love to see a Terciopelo (Fer De Lance) although I'm terrified of stepping on one

atdahl, Thank you kindly for the detailed help! I had actually seen a lot of your pics a few days ago while searching images of wildlife at Bosque on Google. Your photography is absolutely breathtaking! There are some really incredible shots in there and very neat creatures. I really appreciate all the accounts of various reptiles and amphibians along with the descriptions about where to search for them! Good stuff - that's just what i was looking for!

Also, I'd be happy to help you ID some of the frogs you're having trouble with... although I'm not sure i'm qualified! They can be tough to distinguish down there, especially within the genus Eleutherodactylus. FYI, I believe that snake you have labled as a "racer" is actually a Letptodeira septentrionalis or Northern Cat-eyed Snake. The lizard shot just labled "Lizard" is Ameiva leptophrys aka the Delicate Ameiva. The blue-tailed whiptail is a juvenile Ameiva festiva I believe. Oh yeah, AWESOME pics of the basilisk running on water!!! Very cool...

Thanks again very much for your feedback! I'll be in touch...

Joe
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:22 AM

I hope you have a good zoom lens and post later! (And don't forget to wear high boots.)
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the IDs Joe. I am always open to getting my animal IDs accurate. If you see anymore that are wrong, just let me know.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Joe-I was at BDC last December,and the talk one night was about the fer de lance that confronted a couple of guests on the short-cut trail from the bungalos-apparently in the typical strike pose.Needless to say,the long walk back by the road was gladly taken by those involved in the encounter.I was able to see many smaller snakes already described in this post.Yes,take Phil's night hike as an introduction,and ask him about his encounter with the coral snake he had found for a photographer.Please tread carefully,if you are actively searching for these reptiles.You are going to love BdC !
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Whew! As much as I wanted to go to BDC I'm kinda glad I'm not going. OMG, snakes! Yikes!
atdahl - what kind of telephoto lens do you use? Your photos are incredible.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Don't rest too easy, milliebz, the fer de lance can be found almost anywhere in the country. After looking for them for years at BdC, we finally happened upon one right outside our hotel room in Manuel Antonio--when we least expected it. And I think that's the way it usually is. Sometimes we get careless and only watch our steps when we are in a jungly area such as the Osa. Our close encounter was a huge reminder to always keep an eye out. We got great photos, though!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM

We almost stepped on one in Arenal too - definitely not just on the Osa. I love to see people's snake photos. Hope you get some good ones, Herp. Does your girlfriend know you're going to be going on this quest?
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 07:30 AM

On our visit last July we saw 3 snakes. A baby coral in the driveway around the mango grove, a green parrot snake that was really long in the road on the way back from Puerto Jimenez and a boa on the Esquinas River tour. I have posted 2 of the snakes photos on the trip advisor website. I will try to post the green parrot snake this weekend. Good luck and BE CAREFUL! I dont know that Phil (the nature Guru) will think snake hunting is such a good idea. Have a great time!
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your input and well wishes! This is a great site.

susierah, i saw your coral snake pic and it got me super excited! Beautiful snake! A parrot snake would be amazing.

Also, for the record, snake "hunting" is a loose term and I only want to photograph them and then release them unharmed. Hopefully Phil won't mind.

volcanogirl, my girlfriend doesn't share this obsession of mine, but she is very well aware that i'm going to be looking for reptiles morning noon and night! I joking told her i was going to slip her some nyquil in the evening and then take off and go snake hunting all night! By the sounds of it though, everyone is so exhausted in the evening that she'll be out cold anyways

Here's a little example of how I do my little thing...

- I also do a lot of still photography too, but just on an amateur level.

Thanks again everyone!

- Joe
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Shoot, here's the link i meant to post!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbaXi_Cs82U

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -