Search

Best way to travel in CR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to travel in CR

We are contemplating a January trip to CR. Flying to SJO is our best option. We'll have 10 - 12 days. Thinking of spending 3 or 4 days in Araenal/Monteverde and then a few days at a swimable beach (we don't surf.) perhaps in Guanacaste or Manuel Antonio. We are very leary about driving, so if possible would like to do this via public or private transport. Is this possible, and if so, what's the best way to di it?
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 02:49 AM

Totally doable...

www.interbusonline.com nice shuttle for you...

www.arenal.net

www.tabacon.com

then

www.tamarindo.com

www.hotelcapitansuizo.com

might make a nice combo for you...
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 04:49 AM

I just returned from a two week trip and chose to drive for the freedom of coming and going as I pleased which I don't regret. The driving was easy although the roads weren't always well marked and you have to be careful with locals walking and biking along narrow roads in the rain). Part of my trip included a remote jungle lodge so I had to have a car (4 wheel drive). If you are primarily going to stay at (and on) resorts, then I would definitely use the public transportation option (less stressful if it is your first time in CR) but if you want to go exploring as I did, then I would get a car. One option is public transportation SJ/Fortuna/SJ and then fly from SJ to Quepos (Manuel Antonio) and rent a car in Quepos so that you can explore the Pacific Coast. FYI - Manuel Antonio has become very touristy - if you want resort hotels and restuarants that all cater to US tourists with almost everything in dollars (imagine Cancun, then MA is fine, and beautiful). MA is actually not directly on the beach but uphill quite a ways from the beach except at the entrance to the national park. If you want the Southern Pacific Zone, possibly consider Dominical which is a little further south, tiny and with a much more local feel. The road between Quepos and Dominical is a new paved road and the trip is easy and runs through beautiful pineapple fields on either side of the road. I did not visit Guanacaste so no feedback on that region. You will love CR. I'm already planning a return visit.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM

I go down a lot to Costa Rica, a car would give you great flexibility and possibilities to explore, but I understand your reluctance as it’s the first time in Costa Rica. Interline is a good option as mentioned, maybe once you get used to the roads and gain confidence you could rent a 4x4 for the beach part and drive locally in the long run will save a lot of money, just a thought.

I have been to Guanacaste ant there is not much jungle or rainforest and it quite developed. Manuel Antonio is a nice option, but as mentioned by jpbostonian Uvita – Dominical area is really beautiful, the beach at the Marine Park (Marino Ballena) is gorgeous and you can walk out on to the “whales tail” during low tide which is quite an experience. The waves are small and its great swimming beach. The area has lots of Rainforest & activities. I have been here 7 times and its definitively my favourite sea side area in Costa Rica. There have been a couple of threads here on this area. Will probably need a car which can be rented locally – Budget, Solid and National and you can drop it off before going back to SJO via public transport or flights by Sansa or Nature Air from Quepos Airport. As far as accommodation in the area depends on your budget and expectations, some recommendations: Cuna del Angel www.cunadelangel.com , Cristal Ballena www.cristalballena.com (if you are after a full service hotel and suits your budget), Oxigen & Rancho Pacifico (luxury high end). There was a traveller report on TikiVillas – www.tiki-villas.com in this forum
Baru http://www.haciendabaru.com is quite nice. Dominical town also has a couple of decent places. Hope you enjoy your trip Costa Rica is a great choice!
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Hum....I have lived in Nosara, Guanacaste for almost six years and I'm a bit confused about the comment that "there is not much jungle or rainforest in Guanacaste" ...true, it is not a rainforest (although the last two months it has sure felt like it!) but it is certainly jungle! And a lot less developed than Manuel Antonio! Samara, 40 minutes south is a beautiful swimming beach and is also less developed than MA, and easy to navigate too. There is also Carillo Beach, another 15 minutes south of Samara that is a stunning, palmed lined swimming beach and not developed.
I also think south of Dominical is lovely but Dominical itself is bit scary for me in terms of crime and not a swimming beach!

Interbus is excellent for transportation, or if you have a better budget there are excellent private transfers with fabulous drivers that will become your friends. But, having your own car is best for coming and going as you please and it will be dry, so no downpours to drive in!
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Guanacaste is a large province in Costa Rica and includes beaches, volcanoes, rainforests, cloud forests, dry tropical forests and plains in addition to wetlands. worldtraveler, when you say, "I have been to Guanacaste and there is not much rainforest and it is quite developed", you mean, "I have not been to the rainforest in Guanacaste and some of the areas I visited were quite developed." Indeed, the inhabitants of Guanacaste would be very surprised to learn there are no rainforests and it is quite developed, especially towns like Cuajiniquil, a fishing village where there is one hotel and two restaurants and a lovely, wide, calm beach. If you have only been to, say, Tamarindo, you would think that Guanacaste is quite developed but, except for a few parts, it really is not.

I really like the Samara/Playa Carrillo area. Carrillo has a picture postcard perfect beach, a few nice places to stay. I was there last year and some friends and I rented a studio apartment with a small kitchen (saves on eating out) for about $45 a night for the three of us. www.sixcatz.com

Samara is not far away - only about 3 km - and is larger with many places to stay of all budgets, restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc. Lots to do in the area and the beach is nice - but not as pretty as Carrillo. In Carrillo there is a lady who runs a wildlife rescue center that you can visit. Here you will see some animals that you would otherwise never be able to see - nocturnal forest dwellers - and see others close up. She returns the ones she can to the wild and the others, she tries to give them a home. She is friendly and speaks English - give her as big a donation as you can! I just emptied my pockets.

Check here: www.samarabeach.com
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Am leaning toward Dominical/Uvita after Arenal, but no firm decision. Doea anyone know if Interline offers service from SJO airport to La Fortuna? Thanks again!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 09:50 AM

https://www.interbusonline.com/home/home.asp is the Interbus link for you. Private drivers are another option. You can get recommendations on this board or have your hotel book them for you.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Interbus used to never pick up at SJO airport, not sure if that's changed. They do pick up at the Holiday Inn Express/Hampton Inn complex which is less than 5 minute taxi away from the airport.

If you're heading to Dominical or Uvita, I really would suggest a car, it's not really easy to get around via taxi or bus there. There is a Solid agency there, so you could get a driver/;use Interbus for Arenal and then pick a car in Dominical for your days there. Then you could fly back to San Jose from Palmar Sur (or Quepos but I don't believe you can drop off the car there unlike Palmar Sur). The roads there are excellent. I stayed at Shelter from the Storm there and loved it; it's up a hill and looks out over the water.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. If one were to take a shuttle from Arenal to Quepos or Arenal, would they let you off at a place where you could easily get to a car rental place?