Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best value for comfortable rooms in Bocas del Toro?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which island is your favorite for nice water and beaches? Partying doesnt interest us...a bottle of wine and some stargazing is more our style on a nice white sand caribbean beach.

I like the jacuzzi tub room at bahia del sol, not sure what island that was or if it was nice, the room was a good deal under $100, but booked.

Thanks for your input
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM

I was so jazzed about Bocas del Toro until I read in Fodor's Panama that it sometimes rains for days on end. It would probably work nicely for those who vacation in February or March.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:23 AM

www.bocastesoroescondido.com
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:26 AM

We were some of those people who were on Bocas for six days and it rained the entire time. That was several years ago in January. It was bad rain, even for Bocas. The border to Costa Rica was closed because the road washed out.

Anyway, we stayed in Isla Colon in Bocas Town at a small B&B. Sea front, but not beach front. Called Cocomo by the Sea. It was fine, not great. The town of Bocas doesn't have any beaches, the ones close to town weren't very appealing.

Best beaches we saw were on Isla Bastimentos. Red Frog Beach was lovely, but not really white sand or blue water.....

We didn't get to nearly all the beaches or islands, I'm guessing there are some with whiter sand.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. We are actually going in beginning of April so hopefully no rain is in the forecast for our trip. Tesoro Escondido was one of my choices so far but it doesn't look like much of a beach there and seems like a pain to get in and out of for doing activities. Isla Bastimentos does really look nice, but not a lot of nice options around $100.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM

If you don't mind basic, we thought Dona Mara (Isla Caranera)was a great place to stay for $40 bucks per night including taxes and meager breakfast. We were there only to sleep and it was clean and neat. Not much of a beach, but we found that on Bastimentos and Isla Colon.