Best med for motion sickness

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for our Ecuador/Galapagos trip next week and we can hardly wait. Can anyone give me a recomendation regarding what to take to avoid motion sickness. My husband has tried Dramamine for a past cruise and says that it did nothing for him. Is there any over the counter meds that might get better or should we get our doctor to prescribe something stronger?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear LePageS:

We have used Bonine in Hawaii, and fishing in Alaska & Mexico. So far so good. In Kauai, we did a day trip along the Napali coast. Huge swells were coming in from Alaska. It was pretty rough & scary. We couldn't see the horizon as the boat went down between waves. We were all fine, but I hadn't given the Bonine to my mom. I wasn't sure since she was 82 and on lot of other meds. Big mistake. She got very sick!

The Bonine doesn't make me drowsy, unless I have a cocktail.

Good luck on your trip and give a trip report when you get back.

MY
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:07 AM

I 2nd the bonine. With either bonine or dramamine I have to take it at lesat an hour ahead for it to work - half an hour and it feels like no effect. Please tell us all about your trip when you get back! Happy trails!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:16 PM

Another vote for Bonine. It doesn't make us sleepy, like Dramamine does. We have also used the patches with great success.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

BONINE!! It has worked for me on 2 Galapagos trips and other trips on the ocean.

Once my husband and I even took it after we had both gotten nauseous and the wonders of Bonine took effect in about 20 minutes. Then we were fine.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM

BONINE! I've used it on a cruise, in the car & even to snorkel. I get nauseaous from the wave motion. It worked great everytime & never makes you tired like dramamine.
Have a great trip!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise! We will try bonine. I have never been seasick before but I don't want to take any chances. I will post a trip report when we return!

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Have you heard of the seaband bracelets? My friend and my wife both get motion sickness. My friend showed us these bracelets he got - they ahve a little plastic bump that you place on a certain part of your wrist. It triggers a pressure point apparantly.

It sounds a little silly if you have not heard of it before. But my buddy used to throw up all over the place on a boat, even a large one. He has taken all the drugs and swears by these bracelet things - says they are much better then dramamine. We went on a fishing boat this past summer and he was fine - and he is usually a disaster. My wife used them too and really liked them as well. They're only a few bucks and you can get them at K-Mart.

http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM

I agree with Naplo999 - the sea band wrist things were perfect for my Galapagos trip last year. I cannot take the meds/pills like Bonine and Dramamine without nasty side affects, so I tried the wrist bands... wonderful! I never got queasy at all.

Bought them at the grocery store here in central NY for about $6.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Going on a cruise I was afraid Ginger pills will not be enough. Asked my doctor, he was against the "patch", recommended Bonine instead (or generic, cheaper version Meklizine - not sure how to spell).

For me, Ginger was enough, but this was a large ship and my cabin was in the middle lower part.