Belize- whale shark swimming

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2017, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first long vacation where I have to do all the planning so I wanna make it right. I've been going over all scenarios and I need some expert advice.

Trip Details
Land in Belize- 952am Tuesday June 13
Depart Belize- 1210pm Tuesday June 20

Mode of transportation- 4wd Jeep. Ive heard I shouldn't rent a car in Belize but I really like the idea of exploring things on our own plus I found one at only $42 a day. I know about the high security deposits too.

June 13-June 17 Midas Belize in San Ignacio
*I haven't planned exactly what we are going to do all the days here but a combination of ATM, Caracol, Tikal, cave tubing, zip lining

Now this is the tricky part.
From June 17-20 we wanted to relax on a nice resort with occasional snorkeling or exploring on kayaks. We narrowed it down to Hopkins or Ambergis Caye or Caye Caulker.

Hopkins because it's slightly more affordable and closer to whale shark areas which I really want to do. (June 7-19 is what I was told was the last whale shark season).

Ambergis Caye because it's closer to all the snorkeling and San Pedro and finding food shouldn't be an issue.

Caye Caulker because it's still close to all the main snorkeling and it seems slightly more affordable than AC.

If it was guaranteed we would see whale sharks I would stay in the south in Hopkins. But I don't wanna stay there, then not see whale sharks AND not be able to snorkel in Hol Chan.

Another option I was thinking was staying in Hopkins, driving up to Belize City then do a one day snorkel trip of Hol Chan.

What do you guys suggest?
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 04:15 PM

I think you'd be really lucky to see whale sharks; your available days just barely snag '10 days after a full moon' and folks will be lucky to see them a week earlier. The reef is 10-12 miles off shore from Hopkins so snorkeling is a spendier deal there; the northern cayes are really close to the reef for cheaper trips (plus Hol Chan is awesome). Better to head to Ambergris or Caye Caulker imho. Here are our 2 favorite places:
www.tranquilitybayresort.com (secluded on AC, snorkel from shore)
www.colindacabanas.com (nice spot, great dock on CC)

My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 06:14 AM

You want advise from an expert? Don't expect to see whale sharks and if you do, you lucky.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 03:22 AM

In general I would advise against going anywhere where your only reason to be there is to experience a particular natural phenomena. Mother Nature is fickle: the whale sharks don’t arrive when expected, the cloud cover obscures the eclipse, the icebergs melt sooner this year, the northern lights don’t occur. Go places where there is much to experience and enjoy, and if your visit coincides with these unpredictable events, it is a bonus.