Search

Belize vs Cozumel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Cindy

Belize vs Cozumel

We have gone to Belize for two years in a row and love it. However, we thought we might try Cozumel this fall. We stay at the Rice villa at Victoria House on Ambergris Caye. On Cozumel we are looking at renting a private villa on Playa Sol and San Francisco Beach. Does anyone have any thoughts on comparing the two?

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Owen O'Neill

I regret that I can't speak from perosnal experience (yet) but I believe the beaches are a bit nicer in Cozumel. The other factor that may be of interest is that in certain aprts of Cozumel there is excellent reef snorkeling just off shore. Typically in Belize the decent snorkeling and diving is reached by boat only. I had assumed that lodging prices were higher in Cozumel but my GF and I are planning a trip there for early December and it looks quite reasonable in $$. I stayed on Caye Caulker for five days this past June and will be interested in your comparative assessment if you do choose Cozumel - please post a trip report if you're able.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Lan Sluder

A big difference between the two is that Coz has become a major destination for cruise ships, whereas Ambergris Caye gets none. When I was on Coz in June, there were eight big ships, each with around 2,000 passengers, in port one day. That makes a BIG difference in the ambience, especially in San Miguel and nearby.<BR><BR>Also, Coz has quite a few U.S. franchise restaurants and clubs and at least in the town area is much more commercialized and touristy.<BR><BR>If you are used to Ambergris Caye, which is a bit like Coz 25 or 30 years ago, if you go to Coz I'd say get a place well away from town. Playa San Francisco is maybe 7 miles from town is perhaps far enough away from the cruise ship throngs to be quieter.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:37 AM
x

all the cruise ships are enough to keep me away from coz