Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Belize vs. Costa Rica - Which is better?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have traveled to Costa Rica and absolutely loved the adventure and ecotours (volanoes, abundant wildlife, jungle tours, flora and fauna) but I wasn't crazy about the Pacific beaches - cool water temp, heavy under currents, poor visibilty. Also, we jumped from town to town because there is so much to see, and it was totally amazing to see everything, but wasn't always so relaxing.

I have 9 days for my vacation and I am looking for a place to go where I can spend half my time relaxing at a small luxurious hotel on a beautiful beach, where I can snorkle in warm turquoise waters, eat delicious food, and have some nightlife.

Then the other half of my trip, I would like some adventure - jungle tours, seeing lots of animals and birds, canopy tours, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:29 AM

For beach, Roberts Grove or Turtle Inn in Placencia. Or Victoria House, Mata Chica or Portofino on San Pedro, ambergris. for jungle, Chaa Creek, duPlooys, blancaneaux. all are great and offer a balanced vacation to Belize
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else have some advice?
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Kitty's in Placencia had great food. We stayed at Rum Point but ate at Kitty's several times. The beach wasn't the greatest for just going in. We went on several trips out to the little islands for snorkeling. I would suggest someplace closer to the town for more nightlife or go to one of the larger Cayes.
We also spent some time in the Mountain Pine Ridge area. We enjoyed Caracol, Rio on Pools, and Rio Frio Caves.
Also went on a day trip to San Ignacio, Xunantunich, and over the border to Guatemala.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 02:35 PM

We really enjoy Ambergris Caye and the town of San Pedro. Because the reef is only 1/2 mile from shore there isn't any surf, so there is sea grass along the shore. So, in a lot of places the swimming isn't great. But, many hotels have nice docks that you can swim off of. Great restaurants, wonderful people, some interesting bars. Some great snorkeling just a short boat ride from shore.

The beaches aren't as pretty as they are on the Caribbean coast in Mexico, but it's a pleasant place to be. We have been to Costa Rica twice and had a great time, but you're right it's a busy time, and we haven't yet found a place to just hang out on the beach there for several days.

We also spent time in Placencia, funky little town, not nearly as developed as San Pedro. Nice beach, some decent restaurants. Much more laid back.