Belize Trip Report -June '05

Jun 15th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Belize Trip Report -June '05

Just got back from 11 days in Belize (thanks to Katie Valk for helping make arrangements).

We flew from KC to Belize City and took tranfer to Chaa Creek for our 3 nts / 4 days. I can't say enough good things about this lodge. The only down side is it does not have ac and the humidty was off the charts (worse than FL or Houston).

From Chaa Creek we took a transfer back to Belize City and caught a plane to Ambergris Cayes for last of 7 nts. We stayed at Banyan Bay and was pleased with the property and ameneties. Here are the highlights of our trip (no particular order):
1. Scuba Diving & Snorkeling (several trips)
2. Boat tour to Manatees (10 dolphins
played / followed our boat for 15 or
minutes)
3. Horseback ride at Chaa Creek
4 Canoe trip from Chaa to San Ignacio
5. Night time nature walk at Chaa
6. Xunatunich

Overall impressions:
1. Food better at all places than expected
2. Much hotter / humid than ever imagined
(recommend going earlier in yr)
3. Beach areas are not really all that great
for swimming on AC
4. People are very very friendly
5. We walked all over and never felt
uncomfortable / unsafe
6. Would definitely consider going back
7. Take plane and not water taxi to AC
(that's what everyone who took the water
taxi said)

Let me know if you have any questions?

Jun 16th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Thanks for the report. We were in San Ignacio the end of May, and I was surprised how hot it was. It was much more comfortable on Ambergris Caye, because of the sea breezes.
Jun 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the heat was much more of a factor than we invisioned as well. While I/we enjoyed Ambergris Caye, I/we actually preferred our time at Chaa Creek What really surprised us was how how much worse the bugs were on AC. During our trip, we hardly ever got bitten at Chaa but nearly got eaten alive on AC.
Jun 17th, 2005, 03:46 AM

Pumpy,

I bet you were on Ambergris Caye after it rained earlier this month. There were essentially no bugs there over Memorial Day. I think I saw one mosquito. Amazing what a little rain will do for the insect population.
Jun 27th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jun 28th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Hi Pumpy, great trip report! We are looking at the same type of trip and I have a question about your Chaa Creek accommodation and wonder if you stayed in a garden suite. We were hoping for a Tree Top suite which sounds like it might be better breeze wise but they are booked for the time we want to go. Maybe the heat won't be a problem in November but just wondering what you stayed in. Thanks alot!
Jun 28th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

We stayed in a tree top suite. It was truly awesome! While we did not go in a garden suite, they looked very nice from the outside. As far as breezes go, the tree tops probably have the worst location. While they are very wide open, have good ceiling fans, and thus a lot of circulation...they sit lower on the property (built on the side of a hill) and does not get the air / breeze felt higher up on the property. However, I'm guessing Nov. would be much cooler than June and probably not an issue. I think you'll be very pleased with Chaa Creek, Enjoy!
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Many thanks Pumpy for the response. We're looking at a couple of other options as well so this helps. Cheers!
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:40 AM

We were in Belize a few years ago - I can't remember exactly the year, but it would have been in February or early March. I thought I was going to die in the heat! Everyone said it was much hotter than usual, but we would have loved A/C at that time! Our flight home stopped in Cozumel and it was so much cooler.

I agree with your overall impressions though, Pumpy - we really enjoyed ourselves.