Search

Belize trip planning help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize trip planning help

Hi! I am trying to plan a trip to Belize over the December holidays and I am hoping for reccomendations. Firstly, is Belize a safe place for 2 women to travel alone? I ave been reading about rapists in certain areas. Second, what are the best 1)caves 2)ruins 3)beaches? WHat areas should I be lookng for hotels in? My friend and I are interested in everything - Rainforest/jungle/river tours, Maya ruins, beaches. Thanks!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Prevailing wisdom is to split your trip between the Cayo district and either one of the cayes or Placencia for beach time. The holidays are peak travel time, you had better book soon.

I've been to Belize numerous times with my husband, returning in February with my former college roommate. It's as safe as anywhere. There were problems on the western border earlier this summer, I think most of those people are in jail now.

My personal favorite beach spot is Ambergris Caye, but it's also the most 'touristy'. That's a relative term in belize, still mostly sand streets and no high rises. Lots of choices of hotels and restaurants.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:16 AM

Our busiest week of the year, a few rooms left here and there, but act quickly. I travel all over on my own most of the time and feel a high degree of personal saftey. Great trips to fascinatng caves and maya sites in Cayo, river and jungle trips, lots to see and do, people are friendly, easy country to get along and around in, English speaking.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:18 AM
delta1

hey i don't know much about belize but one of my coworker is from there and hes a weirdo!!..hope that helps a little bit

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:03 AM
M2

My girlfriend and I (two single women in their 40's) went a few years ago and stayed for a week in Placencia. We got a cottage on the beach and had absolutely no problems walking into town, etc. etc.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 06:22 AM

Chanad

If you need to minimise your travelling time for a two-centre holiday and choose Placencia for your beach option, then you might want to consider the Toledo District for your jungle, river, caving, and mayan ruins tours. It's a 15 minute flight from Placencia.