Search

Belize Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize Questions

I'm hoping for some help with our Belize trip. Two 60ish retired teachers on a budget, who like history and scenery
The trip has been hoped for since November, but had to wait until this weekend past to book, because of some health questions that left me in limbo. Anyway, here's what our last minute booking has got so far:
Fly in and 2 nights at Orchid Village outside Belize City
4 nights at Windy Hill, San Ignacio
4 nights at Sunbreeze, San Pedro
Water taxi to Belize City/airport/fly out

Now for the questions!
1. We aren't real fans of renting a car, but might do so for the trip to & from Cayo, if everyone says that's better/cheaper/more convenient. ?? Can we get taxis from our hotel to the nearer sites from Cayo? We'd be with a tour for Tikal or Caracol anyway.
2. We want a Mayan site: would a day trip to Tikal be worth the distance, or would it be better to go to Caracol, which is also fairly far.
3. We want a cave experience, but my friend doesn't swim, so I gather ATM is out. Mountain Pine Ridge? I saw mention of a cave tour near Belize City, but no details. Anyone?
4. The Botanical Gardens and/or Rainforest Medicine Trail appeal, around San Ignacio. How long do these take?
5. I want to go snorkeling from San Pedro. Recommendations for a guide/ place? Remember my friend doesn't swim, so I'm not keen on going out solo. I have snorkeled before.

And any other helpful advice/comments.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 09:52 AM

1. I'd hire a driver to meet your flight or you could negotiate with a taxi on the spot. The official taxis have green license plates and there's info on private drivers here:
www.belizebus.wordpress.com

2. Both Tikal and Caracol would be long day trips, but possible. I prefer Tikal as an overnight and would choose it over Caracol.

3. Here's another, less-visited amazing cave option in Cayo: http://www.actunchapatadventure.blogspot.com/

4. The Botanical Gardens and Rainforest Medicine Trail are up the Macal River; I'd contact Windy Hill and see what they say about cost and timing.

5. Will leave this to others - we generally choose Caye Caulker.

My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 03:24 PM

A day trip to Tikal from San Ignacio is very easily arranged; you can see/do an amazing amount even if you only have a day.
While in San Ignacio, be sure to visit Cahal Pech, just above town; it's a small site, very scenic, easy to see in an hour or two.
Chachem Ha cave is known for its pottery, and does not involve crossing water ( dry cave).
We found renting and driving a car quite easy, and enjoyed the freedom it availed. However, that's on the main roads. A trip to Caracol is a long rugged drive that necessitates a tour in 4wd vehicles.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 04:04 PM

We did Tikal as a day trip from the San Ignacio area; we used PACZ tours and really enjoyed it. We did the Barton Creek Cave tour - the guide paddles a canoe through the caves while you go along for the ride, saw a human skull and some pottery inside which was pretty amazing. Very pretty area. No swimming needed since you're in the canoe the entire time.

The snorkeling at Hol Chan is great; we just arranged it through our hotel. Saw tropical fish, sea turtles, big rays, nurse sharks and more.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 05:02 AM

Also, snorkeling and swimming off the beach (San Pedro) are not really possible due to seagrass and boat traffic. The only option is to take a pricey (40$+ pp each time) boat tour to one or more of the snorkeling hotspots (hol Chan is a national park, so there are permits, fees etc. handled by the tour boat). But, if you just went to Tres Cocos, you could probably stand up in the water, it's so shallow.
Next time I'd go to Placentia to be able to snorkel and swim from the beach
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:59 PM

Although it's swimmable, you can't really snorkel from the beach in Placencia - the reef and other snorkeling spots are much further away and more expensive than from Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye.

There are a few southern cayes and places on the atolls where you can snorkel from shore, but none of them have towns and most are spendy.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 02:28 PM

The ride out to Hol Chan is pretty quick and easy from Ambergris. Most tour groups pair it with a stop at Shark Ray Alley.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 06:43 AM

I'd also recommend Mexico Rocks; prettier coral than Hol chan, and we were the only people there (Hol Chan can get pretty busy). Not as many fish, but we saw a sleeping shark. Tres Cocos isnt worth the visit, IMO.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 07:55 AM

We did Mexico Rocks too - saw some nice smaller things - a lobster and an eel. It was pretty shallow in some spots.