Search

Belize planning help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize planning help

Planning to go to Belize in January or February. We are two active adults and will have about four days. I am overwhelmed by all the natural beauty and things to do. Would like to see some ruins and do snorkeling. Can someone help me organize a loose itinerary to get started. Also what area should we stay in. Defin. not an all inclusive but would do a mid priced hotel or apartment type place. thanks so ,much.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 07:27 PM

If it was my trip I'd stay at www.colindacabanas.com on Caye Caulker and do a day trip up the New River to the Lamanai Maya site.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 01:51 AM

If you choose to rent a car, make sure you mention that you will cross the border from Quintana Too into Belize. Some car rental companies will not permit you to leave Mexico. The ones that do allow may want extra for insurance purposes...
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 03:52 AM

What do you want to do? Belize has two incredible worlds-mainland and sea. We have the largest barrier reef in this hemisphere for excellent diving, snorkeling, fishing, sailing. Rain forest, Maya sites, caves with artifacts, river and horse trips, zip lines, etc on the mainland. So more to do than you have time for.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. I know there is so much to do and that I need more time but I am realizing that if I wIt to travel until I retire I will never go anywhere. So I figure we should use time we have and. An do back. Flight is reasonable cause we have Points and companion pass.
We probably don't rent a car but even if we did why would we rent in Mexico? I'm pretty sure we are flying into Belize

So. Back to original question in my limited time shR should we do? I guess I'd focus on mainland
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 05:01 PM

Can you grab any more time? With 5 or 6 nights a split would work but if 4 days = just 3 nights, I'd stick with the suggestion in my 1st post.
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 04:24 AM

Here's a plan...

After landing, go directly to San Ignacio (use a transfer service). San Ignacio is a good base for many mainland activities and the town has a LOT of accommodation for any budget. Stay a couple of nights. See a Mayan site or two (Xunantunich and Cahal Pech can be easily seen on your own without a guide), do a cave tour and see the rain-forest.

Then go to either Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye for the remainder of your time. Snorkel and relax on a beach. AC is bigger and gets more tourists so has more shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife, etc., while CC is smaller, quieter & more laid-back -- take your pick depending on what you're looking for. Both have good access to the reef for snorkelling. AC has nicer beaches.

Depending on the departure time of your flight, you might be able to spend your final night on the caye.
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 08:53 AM

How many nights do you actually have? If 3 nights, I like hopefulist's plan and wouldn't split your stay.
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for help I am reading up a little more on your suggestions and I am sure I will be back with more questions
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

has anyone stayed in midas belize? it's in san ignato. thinking i will stay there and do day trips.
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Regarding Midas we have s junior suite booked. Concerned cause some pictures make it look bright, clean and spacious snd others make it look old snd dingy. Thinking if changing to casa de cachol. It looks much nicer snd very roomy for not that much more. I have both reserved and can cancel without a penalty.
We need the kitchen due to a special diet. That is how I ended up with these choices. Any input is appreciated.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

We will be landing 1230 and figure we will get out of airport about 130. Need a suggestion iof a private tour guide who can pick us up and take us to see something on our way to San Ignacio. What should we do? Zoo?banoon sancusty?something else. Also if we need to get fruits and veggies?milk?drinks I thinking we can get that in San Ignacio correct?
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 08:46 PM

There's a list of private drivers to get you started on this website: www.belizebus.wordpress.com

I recommend the Belize Zoo and maybe the Green Iguana Project if you have time but I sort of doubt you will that same afternoon. There are stores and a market in San Ignacio.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Hopfulist Thanks so much. By the way cc looked amazing but I felt like we would spend too much time traveling to and from island. Already planning another trip. I am very excited about Belize so many great things there.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 03:30 AM

I like to figure that anything I miss is an excuse to return. Happy trails!
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

decided to stay in San Ignatcio
so does this make sense? day one land and go to zoo(landing 12:30)
day two-xanyuchin(sp)/ cahal pech
day three cave tube and zip line tour
day four ATm

really wanted to at least see blue hole (national park) do you think we could do that after zoo if we just want to do a quick look see? or is it anywhere near ATM(not near my map now) any other things i i must/should fit

our flight home is at 1 so i dont think we will have time to do anything on the way out

thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 07:53 AM

That sounds good! I don't think I'd try to add The Inland Blue Hole day 1 or on the way home and the ATM cave trip is a full day, transport provided to and from SI by the agency so probably not that day, either. If you hire a private driver or rent a car you could head there on day 3. Happy trails!
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

thanks. It sounds like it is worth going to see even if we only have a short time there what do other people think? Even if it's worth it I may not really have time cause I think day three is also a full day tour. Not booked yet but I definitely want to do cave tubing and zip lining.
Should I do blue hole instead of zoo
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 07:30 PM

I would prioritize the zoo waaaaay ahead of the Inland Blue Hole - it's a pretty setting but just not as interesting imho. You won't be able to see everything.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Ok thanks for all the help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -