Belize Guidebooks?

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize Guidebooks?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a guidebook for Belize? I just went to Borders tonight and saw Fodors, Frommers, Rough Guide, Lonely Planet...
I'm ultimately trying to plan a honeymoon, that will take place in another year and a half or so. My fiance and I are looking for a relaxing time, with fun adventures on the side, but not costing an arm and a leg (not super super budget either though.)
Any words of wisdom on which to choose?
Thanks!
Ski Queen
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:08 AM

A few good ones, Lan Sluder who posts here writes the Belize section for Fodors. Peter Eltringham for Rough guide, Carolyn Miller for Lonely Planet and new entry to the marketplace is Josh Berman for Moon guide who recently spent a few months researching in Belize . Take a look at www.belizenet.com forums as well and see what visitors have to say-some of it will be good info, some not.
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:50 AM

The new editions of the Rough Guide, Fodor's Belize & Guatemala (for which I do the Belize section) and Moon Handbook are all due out this summer or fall, so the existing editions are not fully up to date. I don't think the LP guide to Belize is all that good.

I also have done two guides to living/retiring in Belize which have some travel info, and I've written hte only guide to Ambergris Caye, San Pedro Cool. My new comprehensive guide to Belize, the Belize First Guide to Belize, hopefully will be out late this year.

Probably the most up-to-date guide that's in bookstores right now is Adventure Guide to Belize by Vivien Lougheed, which was published last year. It has some "hooters" -- the rainfall amounts for example are totally screwy -- but overall is a good guide.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Katie and Lan!
Lan, would you recommend then, since I'm not in desperate need to plan just yet that I wait until the revised editions come out? I did check out your site yesterday but with limited time. I hope to do a more in depth look around soon.

Ski Queen
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:45 AM

Yeah, I'd say probably wait. The new edition of the Rough Guide will be excellent as usual, as the author, Peter Eltringham, really knows Belize. It's hard to say about the new edition of the Moon guide. Chicki Mallan did the book orginally and it was great. Then a guy and then Chicki's daughter worked on it for an edition or two. Now it has been updated by another guy. My Fodor's is in the final editing process and will be out fairly soon. Of course since this Fodor's covers both Belize & Guatemala it has less detail than a guide devoted to Belize alone.

--Lan Sluder