Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Belize - Check my Itinerary? Can't decide between two places...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I'm going to Belize for the first time on a short-notice trip, 5 nights/6 days. We're doing a low-budget trip, so we're looking for the best deals, but still not sleeping in a tent.

We arrive in Belize via AA Miami Tuesday Sept 14th in the morning. Then we're flying down to Dangriga, and meeting a boat to take us to Thatch Caye. We're staying at Thatch Caye Belize for 3 nights, then returning to mainland on Friday. Flying back up to Belize City.

Now we need to decide which tour / lodge company to use for a 2 night inland/jungle stay. We definitely want to do the Cave tubing, and only have one full day (saturday ) to do activities.

Option 1: Howler Monkey Lodge -- they have a very affordable package for @$600 for two people. This includes lodging, transportation to/from airport, meals, and river tubing. We'd be staying in a cabana by the river probably. Cons - no A/C, rustic, monkeys might be too noisy all of the time, bugs, farther form tubing river, and less activities in short amount of time. Pros - monkeys! Scenic area, swimming pool. I have a feeling this is a "younger" more hip rustic place.

Option 2: Orchid Garden Eco-Village - also @$600 for two people. This includes lodging, transportation, meals, cave tubing, nature walk on saturday, then zoo on Sunday morning on way back to airport. Cons - only indoor older hotel-type rooms, not as scenic, no monkeys, no pool. Pros - A/C! Less bugs, close to tubing river, more planned activities available for short time span. Sounds like this place is more for retirement age people?

Anyone know any more info? Or maybe a better place for same price range for 2 people, including transportation to/from Airport? Thank You for any help! -Laura
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM

That's not low budget.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Oh yeah? Don't want to stay in Belize City, but out in the jungle. Do you know of a better idea?
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM

They both may be awesome places, I don't know them - they're just not low budget imo. You could check out the Toucan Trail section of the Belize Forum which screens and lists budget to mid priced options (up to $60/double/night, I think: www.belizeforum.com

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip and then tell us all about it. Happy trails!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM

You could consider the Nature Resort at the Baboon Sanctuary in Bermudian Landing, about a half hour west of the airport; we stayed there about a month ago and I'll post a travelogue in the next week or so (listed with the Toucan Trail I mentioned above) or the lodging at the zoo: http://belizezoo.org/ . They may be more rustic than you're looking for but we enjoyed them both.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:29 AM

Best option would be to travel 45 mins by road from Dangriga to Caves Branch for their full day cave tubing with optional zip line.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:49 AM

My fav varios budget ranges...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...s_Caves_Branch...
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM

I would go with The Orchid Garden - no question. Just look at the comments on Trip Advisor - it's the no.1 B&B in that area. I know it well - it's 14.5 miles along the Western Highway, and in 40+ acres of savannah and creekside woodland. 40+ species of birds in the resort area alone; rooms surrounded by tropical vegetation, maybe the best food in Belize,a/c, warm water showers, free 24 hr high-speed internet access, 120 channels of cable TV, pool and table tennis tables, and it DOES have a pool! - a 25 meter nature swimming pool, 8 feet deep (no concrete, no chemicals)...
As you can tell, my wife and I love the place! Nothing against anywhere else, but we have found it unbeatable value for money.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM

Cotton Tree Lodge near Punta Gorda is very nice and medium budget. They have cave expeditions, can do chocolate roasting-making tours, can take you on medicine trails for healing bush and medicinal plants, and it is in the real heart of a Mayan stronghold in southern Belize. It is not ac and swimming pool and cable tv if that is what you want.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

FYI - I ended up going with Orchid Garden Eco-Lodge! Just wanted to choose a "safe bet" the first time I visit. I will do some investigating, and will return again in the future - doing something more adventurous!

I can't wait to sit by the ocean on Hatch Caye. Just waiting for the confirmation itineraries to arrive. Hope it all works out. THANKS for the help! - Laura (webwawa.com)
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM

It will and you'll have a blast and then you come back and tell us all about it.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM

We loved Thatch Caye! For next time, Caves Branch has a kinds of prices on lodging, so you can really get what you want. We loved it there, also.