Belize

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize

I have been trying to contact various jungle lodges in Belize to make March reservations and have had difficulty getting responses. I have e-mailed the Windy Hill Cottages and the Log Cab-Inn and haven't received any responses. I was able to make tentative reservations at the Crystal Paradise but now we seem to be having e-mail difficulties. Is this normal? I have made other international reservations via email without any problems. Should I be concerned about doing this on-line or is there a better way? I have talked to a couple of travel agents - but they are used to cookie-cutter packages and are not much help.

Also, Can anyone tell me what they think of the Crystal Paradise. We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 Teenagers). SOme of the more expensive jungle lodges won't allow kids and I don't think our budget needs to be stretched that far. I would probably prefer the Log Cab-in or Windy Hill because they have a pool - but like I said I can't get a response - and maybe a pool isn't that big of a deal.

We are planning to arrive in Belize City at 4:30 pm on a Friday and stay that night at the Radisson. The next day we plan to travel to the Cayo district and spend three nights. We are arranging to spend one day visiting Tikal. On the other full day - my husband and son would like to tube through the caves at Caves Branch - Is this the best cave tour - or is Bartons Creek cave a better choice?

We have spent time in the jungle before and know it can be very hot. Can anyone tell us what to expect as far as heat during mid March at night time in the Cayo District? This might be a factor in choosing a thatched cabin over a non-thatched, or even in choosing lodging with a pool.

After three nights near San Ignacio we plan to spend 5 nights at the Banana Beach hotel. Everyone wants to take the water taxi from Belize City to Ambergis Caye. Our return flight home leaves at 10:00 am on a Sunday from Belize City. DO we need to reserve our flight from San Pedro to Belize City in Advance. We would like to plan on taking the 8:00 am flight - are there any advantages to waiting until we get to Belize to reserve this flight or is it best to reserve it on-line in advance? And finally - it looks like Tropic Air and Maya Air have the same rates for this flight - is there any advantage to either?

I know this is long - but I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance to Lan and Katie - the experts who provide so much help to Belize travelers!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:22 AM

That was a long post. We've been having email trouble for weeks. WH and Log are both nice, but neither are jungle lodges. They are jungle style lodges off the main road. CPR is a few miles upriver in Christo Rey village, operated by a lovely Belizean family. (Don't mean to imply the other two are not operated by good people as well).I personally prefer the location. River will be lovely for swimming in March, clear and warm. All the lodges in the area accept kids, not sure how you got the idea they don't. If you want to look at a lodge a notch or two up, take a look at duPlooys or Chaa Creek (which also has an upscale campground on property). March is hot and thatch will keep you cooler. CB and BC cave are both popular, BC closer to where you'll be and can be combined withj other interesting trips. Ask about the Actun TM cave. Book your flight back to intl and both airlines are fine, I prefer Maya. I might be seeing the CPR people manana and can pass a message to them if they don't respond.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:00 AM

The only lodge I can think of that doesn't accept kids is Ek'Tun (this was a recent change by Phyllis.)

Katie has given you good info, as usual. As she noted, neither Log Cab-Inn or Windy Hill is a jungle lodge. They're at the western edge of town near Cahal Pech.

Hotels in Belize have lost a ton of money recently due to BTL's problems. Apparently e-mail is getting back to normal now.

--Lan Sluder
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:28 AM

Katie and Lan,

THanks for you help and insight. Email problems can be very frustrating. If I don't hear soon - I will go ahead and try sending a fax to the CPR. Katie - just to clarify - you mention that the river will be nice to swim in during March. Is there a swimable river within walking distance of the Crystal Paradise Resort?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Mary S.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

One more question - My kids (age 13 and 17)love swimming in rivers and lakes - but we have brought home some parasites, etc. that our doctors in Colorado have never seen before. . . So a little forwarning might make prevention or at least treatment easier. We were fortunate to be able to riverboat down the New River to Lamani last year (terrific day - but one day was not enough!!) and we saw Mennonite kids swimming in the river. But the New River looked a lot like some of the Bayou rivers of the US South - and there are some creatures in the bayou rivers that I really wouldn't want to swim with!! I am planning to have us all immunized against Hep A and we will all be covered head to toe in mosquito repellant. Other than these, is there anything (small like a "swimmers Itch" parasite or large like an alligator) that we need to be particularly concerned about during swimming.

Thanks again!!
Mary S.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:11 PM

CPR is on the Macal River, which does not have any critters to be concerned with and is drinking water for some households. If you can't get thru, I'll call them for you.