Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Beef jerky! Will it be a problem bringing it through customs?

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I purchased several O'Berto beef jerky packages and several boxes of Applets & Cotlets. We plan on giving them away to various people we meet on our Costa Rica trip. Just wondering if customs will permit it.
Thanks much!
Carrie
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Customs asks about "meat" which I assume (but an not certain) would include jerky.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Oberto jerky is dried, cooked and packaged. Would that make a difference?
Thanks
Carrie
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Even packaged meats are not allowed through customs when you enter the US. I can't speak to entering CR.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:26 AM

I've never understood why tourists want to take things for the locals in Costa Rica, one of the wealtiest nations in Latin America. Why don't people talk like this when going to Braziil or Jamaica or Chile?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:30 AM

The meat restriction I mentioned was for Mexico/US, don't know about Costa Rica.

The candy should be OK, just not sure about meat/jerky. I know that jerky is dried, cooked, packaged, but the sign at customs simply says "meat" or maybe meat products?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Mike,
It doesn't make a difference that I'm bringing things to Costa Rica. I'd do the same here, or anywhere. Several people in Costa Rica have been helpful in providing information. I've booked this trip on my own, but found their advice to be extremely helpful.
We're also bringing art supplies (i.e., oil pastels, pens, pencils,watercolors) to the school in Tortuguero. You say they're a wealthy country, but it sounds like the school in Tortuguero could use a few extras.
Carrie
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:41 AM

MikeT: Chile is not wealthy compared to other Latin American countries? You obviously shot from the hip on this one and I can possibly understand your thinking but your attitude stinks! The guy is going to CR, not those other places, and is trying to be nice. Unlike you, who probably never took anything with you besides a chip on your shoulder! Get lost!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:40 AM

I don't know what the rule is. But we have friends that own a hotel near the airport, and they are addicted to Andouille sausage and Cajun Boudin. Two specialties of Southern Louisiana.

We bring it in every trip. The customs agent always asks and we are always honest. I also used to bring beef jerky, as a snack for the light home. Never a problem with either.

I am guessing that any processed meat product must be okay.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Pat Hewitt
Costa Rica Travel Exchange
Costa Rica Concierge
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM

The Costa Rican customs form you fill out on the flight there asks you to check YES or NO: I am bringing meat, food, animal products into the country (or something like that). Customs at the airport in San Jose uses large x-ray machines of the type that the TSA uses for outgoing luggage in the United States. All your bags coming into Costa Rica are x-rayed. I suppose the worst that could happen is that they'd confiscate the beef jerky, but it doesn't sound likely.

Costa Rica is well-off compared to other Latin American countries, and Chile is downright wealthy, but there is still great need in Costa Rica. Good for you for bringing the school supplies.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM

"Unlike you, who probably never took anything with you besides a chip on your shoulder! Get lost!!!"

Good heavens.

I've been to Costa Rica and Mexico and Chile and Jamaica and I've never really understood why it seems that it is CR where people on Fodors are always bringing stuff for the locals. Do people bring stuff for the people in Kingston or in rural Oaxaca or Chiapas? If so, why don't they ever ask about it?

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Ahh... Christmas Eve in (what we would consider)a poor town in Mexico - bringing bags filled with arts and craft type of things for the kids. I vividly remember one stick house, with dirt floors; naked kids; no running water. We were practically mobbed walking the streets (in a good sort of way), until we ran out of supplies. It's not like we were making a big deal out of it. In fact, we passed things out quite discreetly, in the dark, hidden, and quietly. But before we knew it, the word spread. Guess we'll bring more next Christmas.
I tell my students, here at home, to always leave a place better than when you came into it. Doesn't matter where. It's simply a way to say 'thank you' for sharing your home with us. Ten days after our return from Costa Rica, we're off for Ireland. And yes, same goes for there too.
Carrie
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:02 PM

There are many desperately poor people throughout Costa Rica. Good for you for bringing things! The schools always need things and there are several soup-kitchen type places that help feed the poor.

Sandy
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM

I know school supplies are always welcome in many places in CR. Iguana Lodge in Pto Jimenez is involved with building up books in a relatively new library and can always use spanish language books.

Sounds like you have brightened a few Christmases for kids who otherwise would not have had much. Good job.