Search

BdC Flight for SJO 3pm Home

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BdC Flight for SJO 3pm Home

We depart from SJO on a Sat. for our 3 pm homeward bound flight to Canada. Which flight is the best to take from PJ?

Sansa 623 PJ-7am SJO-8:15am
Sansa 617 PJ-11:30am SJO-12:45pm

We are staying at BdC and needing to also take the 3/4 hr- 1 hour drive in early January.

Of course, we'd rather sleep in and take the later flight to arrive SJO - 12:45pm....Do you think we are cutting it close in SJO? How much time does one REALLY need at the airport(assuming we've already paid the departure tax upon arrival in SJO) Any thoughts?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I hate to say it but the earlier one would be better. In a perfect world the 12:45 arrival might work because Sansa is right there by SJO but you just never know about delays- both the planes and check in.

We usually take the 9:30 Nature Air and even when I had a delay once I was in SJO in plenty of time for my 3pm flight to Atlanta.

If you do end up with the early flight(I know it does make for a long day) you could pay for your departure tax (doesn't take long), check in and then leave for a couple of hours and get a good lunch some place rather than just hang around the airport and eat their food.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:44 PM

shadow12
The trouble with your question as to long long it REALLY takes at the airport in SJO is that it varies constantly. You just never know--we've made it (miraculously) in an hour before. Also have cut it very close with 2.5 hours. Just very unpredictable. Save yourself the worry and do the earlier--believe me, I know how appealing the sleep in is! It would be a big risk, though.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Suzie2 and Shillmac: Thank you for your insight. We thought it prudent to take the earlier flight...and of course my no-risk husband says..well, why not take all the risk out and fly back (the last flight)the night before from Bdc.(Fly Day 14 instead of Day 15) Would there actually be anything to do in downtown SJ or near the airport the next day awaiting a 3 pm flight?

Now here's the New Dilemna: DAYS 1-4

Hubby and I just booked flights to CR last night!!!
The tentative agenda(4 teens,minimize plane/in the back of a van travel)
DAY 1 ARRIVE SJO 2 pm
Day 1-4: ARENAL????.and return to SJ downtown Day 4(We have already seen volcano in Hawaii..teens sayquot;Oh, ok.,time to go now..what's next?"
Where else would someone suggest if wanting "action" or varied adventure/experience?

Day 4-6: downtown SJ pick up...Pacuare 3 Day with Rio Troplicales

Day 7-10: fly to DB and stay N of Corcovado NP(tents/Corcovado Adventure Tent Camp)Day 10 taxi to Bdc

Day 10-15: BdC and return to SJO AND fly home.

QUESTION:
Day 1-4...where is the best place to see/do/action...Arenal? WHERE? I was thinking of hiring a driver for these days(6 of us) to show us weird and wonderful off the beaten/local finds...but where? Can someone remember "Leo" or another guide's email? (WE DO NOT SPEAK ANY SPANISH...we are from Canada.
Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:40 PM

This is from another post of Suzie2.
I filed it for future reference.

[email protected]
cell# 506-385-2355

She said he speaks perfect english.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:36 AM

The driver is a good idea for what you have in mind. There are some good tour groups as well. PureTrek Canyoning would be fun and adventurous. Calmer would be the Cano Negro day trip, but there is a lot of wildlife to see--it's a nice relaxing day. Our kids would have enjoyed it--but they like the high adventure stuff as well. Your family might also enjoy hiking Volcan Tenorio on the Rio Celeste day trip. Very pretty blue water river due to volcanic minerals. Might be fun--we enjoyed it. I don't think your lack of Spanish will be a problem in any regard. If you can learn a few phrases, though, it might be rewarding for you.

Pick up the little turquoise Lonely Planet Costa Rican Spanish phrasebook. Lots of people have nay-nayed it, but I literally gave myself a Spanish foundation out of it and have built from there. Will be teaching bilingually next year, so that's not bad!