Search

auto travel in Brazil

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:46 AM
mikki

auto travel in Brazil

My husband and I are traveling to Brazil in July. We like to were planning to rent a car and drive from Sao Paulo toward Rio stopping as we wanted. Brazilians that we know have advised us not to do this as the roads are not good and it can be dangerous. Does anyone have other opinions/information about this. Thanks for your help- this site has been very helpful in making our plans.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
CariocaRio

Well, I don't know if you have ever driven in Brazil before or have even been there but they don't drive like Americans do. The driving alone can be very dangerous and also if they spot 2 gringos driving who don't look like they know where they are going, you could be a target for muggers. I never heard of anything to see on the road from Sao Paulo to Rio but if you want to take in the scenes then take the bus, they will make pit stops for you to get out and stretch your legs and it will be much safer.

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Evelyn

Hello, ..<BR><BR>Well, I have never really heard that the driving between Sao Paulo and Rio is too dangerous for two tourists!<BR>So if you'll decide for driving with a rented car you'll have to take the "Nova Dutra"...<BR>Well, here is a very well done Internet-page for you, where you can see the exact cities you'll pass along and will also see the prices you will have to pay!!<BR><BR>http://www.novadutra.com.br/ingles/index.html<BR><BR>Okay, if you need any further information about safety, beaches, must sees on the way, hotels, and so on,(or if you decide to take a bus-6 hours drive) please write to me again (or to my E Mail), because I am a frequently Brazil-traveller and could help you with insider-advice, especially for Rio and Sao Paulo!!<BR><BR>Greetings<BR>Evelyn

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:59 AM
navyflyer

Having lived in Brazil for a few years, I advise you to either fly with the Ponte Aerea to Rio or take a bus. Driving in Brazil is not a task for the unintiated. You do so at your own risk. If anything, please be safe out there.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:11 AM
s_atihe

I`ve done the rote Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro unless 100 times.I live in Sao Paulo and my ex girlfriend live in Rio.<BR>There are many ways to do it.If you have time take the road "Rio S&atilde;o Paulo" If you wish I`ll check the number of this road.<BR>This way is among the beaches, it is really amazing.Driving during the day there is no problem about your safe.<BR>Stop and spend a night in one of these places.<BR>But, you have to be carefull into the Cities.<BR>I hope you get my message.Sorry for my English.<BR>Any question, call me.<BR>Sergio