ATM with Star symbol?

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM with Star symbol?

Hi there,

I've been reading threads about money/ATMs in Costa Rica and see everyone talks about Cirrus and Plus. I always figured that mine was Cirrus since it's a Mastercard. But when I actually checked it only has the Star logo on the back. Does anyone know if the machines will accept it?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:16 PM

I'm not sure I would use a MC in an ATM machine because the fees are too high and the exchange rate is not good.

If you do use it make sure you know your MC password for withdrawals.

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, nanabee. Just to follow-up. I couldn't find anything out about Star ATM locations. Star's website says to contact your bank for int'l locations. My bank said they didn't know. I called the bank again and they put me on hold and transfered me to MC. Maybe it doesn't matter, as long as the ATM has the MC logo it'll take my debit card, right? Sorry if I sound naive, but I've always had a Visa/Plus ATM card and it's always just worked places I've been. Stupid Washington Mutual.

Anyway, MC has an Int'l ATM locator on their website: http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...ons/index.html
and there a few around in CR, there's even an ATM in Puerto Jimenez which has the awesome address of "across from the Catholic church." Gotta love it.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM

in general visa is more widely accepted than master card, but it depends on the card. if your card does not work at the atm, you can always go inside the bank and go to the special services desk and get a withdrawl that way. not as convienent, but still an option.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM

well good luck - and keep us posted how things work out.
love the address directions - across from the church!! reminds me of when we traveled to England and asked for directions -- go up the hill turn right at the red barn past the sheep .....
thats what makes traveling so much fun.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM

I checked out the star with BofA, there were at least 10 locations in San Jose but not many in other parts of the country. My card also has PLUS and interlink so there should be enough, Buck