ATM, Trav's checks or credit cards?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best form of money to travel with in Mexico? We'll be driving a rental car from Mexico City to Oaxaca. Yhanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:52 AM

You'll want to exchange your money into pesos and we have found the best exchange rates to be at the airport or ATM's. The hotel's offer the lowest exchange rates. Our first year in Mexico, we ordered pesos through our bank which took about a week. There's another thought. Don't take too much because the buy back rate can hurt. Have fun!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:43 AM

I agree with the previous poster. We just got back from a Mexico trip, for which we arrived with no pesos and no travelers checks. We used ATMs throughout the country, and they worked well. One caution -- we were limited by our bank's rules to withdrawals of about $300 per day. If you factor that into your planning, you should be fine.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:46 AM

one other thought -- are you certain you want to DRIVE from Mexico City to Oaxaca? We took the bus and it was a very pleasant trip. A one way ride on an ADO luxury bus costs about $28 and takes 6 hours. Unless you want to stop on the way and sightsee, I would recommend that, instead of driving.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:44 PM

Niskyboss (or anyone), how is luggage handled on the ADO buses? Thanks.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:23 PM

we used two different bus lines. ADO made us check our bags inside the terminal, and the bags were then placed on the bus. We got claim checks for the bags, which we had to present to recover the bags at the destination. No claim check, no bag.

We also took a Cristobal Colon bus, and checked the bags with the driver right alongside the bus. Again, we got claim checks, which were presented at our destination in order to reclaim the bags.

I thought both systems were pretty secure. Of course, we only put clothes and other non-valuable items in the checked luggage. The real valuable stuff (camera, CD player, passports, plane tickets, etc.), we kept with us on the bus itself.

You pretty much have to check your heavy luggage, because the overhead bins are rather small.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 01:53 PM

I would also recommend the bus. ADO is a good first class bus but I would recommend a step higher to either ADO-GL or UNO, both in the luxury class. Both have larger seats (UNO with 1+2 type seating) and a self serve refreshment area onboard. Cost isn't much more and, I think, worth it.
For info on schedules and prices, I would suggest the www.ticketbus.com.mx website--which is available in english.
Enjoy the trip!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I take some U.S. cash to exchange and use ATMs. ATMs are the best rate but your home bank may impose a small charge per transaction (~$2). Differing from what someone mentioned above, my small family-run hotel gives the same exchange rates as the change windows around town (this is PV).

Travelers checks as an emergency back up are OK but plan to cash them at a bank, rather than attempting to spend them directly at a restaurant or shop.

Personally I only use my credit card for the hotel bill. Also be aware that in smaller towns independent businesses may not accept them (this is true in Old Town PV in many restaurants).