Travel checks a must in Mexico?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 09:49 AM
K

Travel checks a must in Mexico?

I'll be traveling to Cozumel in January and was wondering if traveler's checks are necessary. I've traveled to Mexico before and brought them but was wondering if I could forgo them this trip. On my last trip to Aruba I didn't use them and found it much more convienent. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Nancy

Hi K,<BR>We go to Cozumel every year for two weeks and usually use traveler's checks for about 70% of expenditures and cash/pesos for the rest. We cash two $100 checks each day at the hotel - one in the morning and one before dinner - for meals, taxis and pocket change. <BR>We use credit cards for the large purchases (hotel room, jewelry, art, etc.)<BR>Traveler's checks are widely accepted on the island, and pesos are preferred to dollars, but USD are accepted as well.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Ryan

I live in Mexico and bank in the US. I use ATM machines and have no trouble at all. You often get a better wholesale exchange rate too. Plus you are protected from loss by US federal credit card laws.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 02:08 PM
TC

We spend part of each winter in Cozumel. There are plenty of ATM machines - for instance, in the grocery store. We never take traveler's checks. Just remember - the machines dispense money in pesos, so think about the amount of the withdrawal you make.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:11 AM
D

I would take some traveler's checks but not plan to use them. ATM's are definateley the best. The reason I advise taking them as a backup is, I was in Oaxaca last January and there was something wrong with the system and I could not use my ATM, but normally ATM's are great and save you money.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:37 AM
K

Hello, it's me again. Has anyone just brought cash with them and not bothered with ATM's or checks?

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Susan

We tend to rely on ATM's and our credit cards, and we take a small amount of US cash. (We live in Canada and rarely like to buy US dollars.) We never take travellers cheques to Mexico anymore. The problem with taking cash is that you've got to take a lot of it. It's never a good idea to travel with a lot of cash.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Nancy

Hi K,<BR>We usually stay for at least 2 weeks, so it's not feasible to bring that much cash with us, but we have never had any problems with leaving $ in the room.<BR>Cozumel is extremely safe, and the hotel where we stay has a safe in the room.<BR>We don't like to conduct our personal financial business on the street using ATM's, but that is probably the best method to avoid the costs involved with cashing traveler's checks or the risks of carrying lots of cash.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:35 AM
K

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Susan

I agree that Cozumel is extremely safe, however theft can happen anywhere. A few years ago, on one of our trips to Cozumel, a friend of ours left his cash in the safe in his room. He then (stupidly) left the key to the safe in his bag with his razor, etc. He came back to find that the door to his balcony was open and some of his cash was missing - not all, but about 1/2 of it. He's a lot more careful now.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Dune

I travel to Mexico 3 times a year. each time I find myself bringing more and more cash because it is so convienient. You have to realize, however, that you are taking a risk. Cash and ATM's has worked great for me.