Reload this Page >

Atacama Desert or Parque Nacional Lauca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:57 AM
Sylvie

We are 4 and going to Chile in January, we want to visit the Lake District but we have to choose between Atacama and the park Lauca, we are going to fly from Santiago and then rent a car to explore the region. Someone who have visited both places can help us? Thank you.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Peter

Hi Sylvie,<BR>Sylvie I suggest that you consider that the Atacama desert is an entire region, while Parque Lauca is an individual park. However, both have enormous appeal. <BR><BR>To visit Parque Lauca you will have to hire a car in Arica and drive east and up (altitude). P. Lauca has amazing bird watching opportunities and a few high altitude villages of interest. If you require more info, plase e-mail me.<BR><BR>The Atacama on the other hand can be entered from Antofagasta, Iquique, Calama or Arica (and in terms of physiography extends into southern Peru). The "classic" destination is San Pedro which is well serviced for tourism. You are within striking distance from altiplano villages, many sites of natural interest, birds, geysers, mega-copper mines, etc. If you want all-in-one, I suggest that this is your best choice.<BR><BR>On second thoughts, why hire a car? San Pedro has zillions of tour operators who can remove the burden by collecting you at Calama. I worked in the Atacama (a geologist), and nonetheless fully appreciated the organised visit. Do you really want to drive at an altitude up to 14000 feet? Maybe, but take then take the decision deliberately.<BR><BR>Have fun.