Arenal Volcano Area

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Kathy

Arenal Volcano Area

I've read all the posts on this area however still can't get an idea of exactly what is there. For instance, is there a small village/town? Are there stores and gas stations? Or just a few hotels and nothing else? Please help me understand this area.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Iza

I will try to describe it for you. As you enter the area on the road leading from San Jose you will see small villages with houses and some little stores along the way. Then there is the town of La Fortuna which consist of a square in the middle of the town, a church, a number of houses, stores, tavel agency offices, a gas station, some small hotels, restaurants, a soccer field etc. Most of the better known hotels are located outside of town, along the road leading from the town to Lake Arenal. Along that road there are also restaurants, a large disco, Tabacon Hot Springs (and some other springs, I can't remember the name). It is really a somewhat rural area, not heavily built up with the hotels interspersed with open fields with grazing horses, some wooded areas. You can take that same road to the turnoff leading to Arenal Observatory Lodge and then you get to the Arenal dam and then a turnoff to Arenal Lodge. The volcano is visible (if you are lucky) from the town and all along the road to and around Arenal Lake.
Here is a link to a little map of the area:
http://www.monteverdeinfo.com/arenal...olcano-map.htm

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Kathy

Thanks Iza, please let me be more specific. I will be arriving on a motor coach with a group and won't have a vehicle. We're staying a Tabacon and I'm wondering what will we do at nite. Is there anywhere to walk to? Or once at the hotel we'll pretty much stay there all evening?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Kim

We were near the Arenal Volcano for 5 days and could only see the whole mountain 1 day. Most of the time it looked like it wasn't there because of all the fog.

Kim

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Tia

Kathy:

We stayed at the Arenal Lodge which isn't too far from Tabacon. We had no problems getting a cab to go into town, to eat, to Tabacon, etc. as we didn't rent a car, either. Our lodge also provided a shuttle like three times/day to take guests into La Fortuna. We went one day and had a great time there.

Tia

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Iza

Tia is right. There is really nothing within walking distance of Tabacon, but you can get a cab easily and go to town or one of the restaurants along the road to the town. You can also plan to spend the evening at the hot springs - we were there during the day but from all reports they are very nice at night too, with all the landscaping and lights.
We were in Arenal for 2 days last year in August and did not see the volcano at all due to clouds, rain and fog.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Tess

Maybe I was there at the right time ? (November) Maybe I was lucky? Who knows? Not only did I see the volcano, but as we stopped by the side of the road (with a tour group)we saw the volcano 'burp' --- it spewed a small gray cloud of stuff (ash? gas?). Then we continued on to Tabacon resort for the afternoon. Hung out in the hot springs (ah, I remember those therapeutic hot waters pounding on my neck/back). As we finished our dinner (it was dark by then), a small red glow was visible with a tiny bit of lava coming out.

I thought the whole experience was so cool, I can't wait to get there again.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Kathy

Thanks to all for the info, hopefully we will have clear weather on one nite as we are there for 3 nites. Our days are filled with activities but still need advise for the evenings. Are there any bars/clubs or is that asking too much? Also when you say "town", what is the name?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Kay

I'm also going soon, does anyone remember the cost of a cab to the town referred to here?

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Iza

The town is La Fortuna. We had a car when we were there so I don't know the cost of a cab but I am sure it is reasonable. The town has a number of small restaurants where you can hang around in the evening.
There is a large club/disco along the road from Fortuna to Tabacon. We have not gone there but it looked like it might be fun.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Kathy

Anyone elso know about the cab fare or this club mentioned.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Tia

Kathy:

The cost of a car fare from La Fortuna to the Arenal Lodge which is near Tabacon was $12 one way (daytime). At night we paid $12 from Tabacon to the Arenal Lodge which was a quarter the distance we went during the day for the same price!! Still, a bargain if you don't wish to rent a car in my opinion.

Tia

P.S. That was the going rate as of 4/02.