Arenal Hotels I can't decide ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide on where to stay in the Arenal area for two nights. So far, I am going by websites and pictures. Maybe a little input from someone who has been there will help me.
We want to spend two nights. Want a good view of volcano from our room. Are willing to spend $100 a night. During the day we plan to gop to the hanging bridges and maybe another day to the aerial tram.
So far I like the looks of:
Arenal Observatory lodge. Nice but pricey. The Lavas Tocatal. Nice, ok price..looks like its pretty close to the volcano.
Los Lagos, looks ok....
Arenal Paraiso..ok
Arenal Springs Resort..new..should I risk being a new customer?
Volcano Lodge....
Ok Any one? Thanks in advance..Mary Jane
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:58 AM

I stayed at both the Paraiso and Montana de Fuego. While I liked both of these places, I liked Montana de Fuego more. I heard Los Lagos is nice but more expensive.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Los Lagos is one of the closest resorts to the volcano. Almost all of the cabinas have a view of the volcano from the porch. There are hiking trails right from the property to the base of the volcano. It also has a great system of naturally heated and artificial swimming pools and water slides. It is also popular with Ticos, who come down with their families on Sundays to spend a day at the pool.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:03 PM

Arenal Springs Resort --- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34673556
It's new & therefore, may have a few kinks to work out .... in my opinion, I'd certainly give it a go. Only thing I can confirm is, yes, it's in good location for good volcano viewing (between Arenal Paraiso & Montana del Fuego).
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

I really liked Los Lagos. Get one of the rooms up on thehill (see my posting for numbers or search for it). It has its own free hot springs pool which is modest but nice. The only thing is I read a few months ago that the volcano is erupting in a different direction and you can't see it from there. So look through people's experiences to see that.
I loved the hanging bridges and the Sky tram (with zipline was great).
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Be sure to check which side of the volcano currently has the most spectacular lava flows. It can shift pretty quickly.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:30 PM

We've stayed at Tabacon, at the Arenal Observatory Lodge and at Arenal Lodge. Arenal Lodge was BY FAR our favorite. Second choice would be Tabacon Lodge - I'd never stay at the Observatory Lodge again...
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 03:56 AM

This isn't really an answer to your question, but when I was researching my trip to Arenal, one of the considerations to choosing a hotel was finding out which direction the lava was flowing and to get a hotel on that side.

Don't really know if it's fact or fiction b/c you have to be really lucky to actually "view" the volcano. It is often very cloudy. The entire time we were there we NEVER saw Arenal. We stayed at Tabacon Lodge which we enjoyed, especially the complimentary access to the hot springs)

Good luck.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all your ideas and input. I am still undecied on a hotel. However, I was wondering if it will be possible to get a hotel in early to mid November without a reservation? I would prefer not to be tied to staying at a particular hotel until I get a look at the area. The cost is not really important, as we will probably only be staying in that area for 2 nights. Again, thanks!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 04:33 PM

We've traveled in Costa Rica twice (once in April and once in November) with no reservations (except our first and last nights - check out Xandari - very nice). We never found ourselves stuck but on our most recent trip we didn't always get the choice of rooms that we seemed to get first time there. I think you might want to reserve at more popular hotels but can wing it if you're not too picky.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:10 PM

I absolutely love Arenal Lodge. The service and food are wonderful. The grounds are nice -- your own little rainforest trail, butterfly house, horseback riding,etc.

Sandy
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:54 PM

you didn't say when you are traveling. But I just came from there and let me tell you that Arenal was the most fantastic place I have seen in a long time. The Volcano is not as close as you think and at night the view is spectular, unbelieveable,
We witnessed the lava coming down the sides and it didn't travel that far. the hot springs are in a wonder of the world and the spa, well it is first rate. We were staying in CoCo Beach area and traveled 4 hours to this resort just to witness its hot springs and beauty.. this is a must do... Have fun.