Arenal Cano Negro advice, pls!

Jan 14th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Arenal Cano Negro advice, pls!

Plan A was to fly from Granada, Nic into Arenal in one day but Nature air's scheduling does not allow this. Thus we lost a day in Arenal-we only have two nites now-plus one afternoon & one full day. Looks like we arrive late am-need to drive from Liberia airport to Arenal Paraiso. My ? is how best to budget our time. Could we see the falls in the pm on the day we arrive? I understand there is hanging bridges? And then allow the following day for Cano Negro? [do we need to arrange tour ahead of time??] In other words, what are the highlights? Thx, again!
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Cano Negro is a highlight and returns you to La Fortuna at 3:00--that is time enough to drive a short distance out of town and do the La Fortuna Falls. I think we spent an hour and a half seeing the falls--the walk back up is pretty strenuous!

We've yet to do the Hanging Bridges after several visits--in speaking with lots of people, they sound like a fun deal for a morning or afternoon. The hot springs could be enjoyed after dark. So you could actually work Cano Negro, La Fortuna Falls, and the springs (Eco Thermales or Baldi) into your day.

Actually, if you want to just relax a bit and not worry so much about cramming the most into your time, you can do Cano Negro, the hot springs, and just let Arenal entertain you the rest of the time, if she is of a mind to!
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thx again! I was hoping we could somehow fit it in. Do we need to make advance reservations to do Cano Negro? Any recommendations with whom? A wonderful naturalist makes all the difference. Many thx!
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM

youve got time to visit the waterfall in the afternoon- its less than 10 mins drive from the center of town- USD6 entrance, steep climb up and down!
Good tour operators for Cano Negro are Sunset or Aventuras, no need to book in adsvance>

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM

We just took a taxi to the entrance, paid our fee and went in for the waterfalls. If you have a car it will be even easier.

If you can get to the falls around 3-3:30pm the day you arrive you should have time then to see them that day. You won't have much time to hang around the bottom and swim much but it is still a fun thing. It is about a 3 hr drive from Liberia to La Fortuna.

The Hanging Bridges are a very nice walk. Beautiful views of the volcano if the clouds are cooperating. Even though they were still working on the place when we went it was nice so I imagine it will be even better now.