3 CHOICES for 6 days in CR-HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like any opinions on which of the three itineraries would be best for my (short) trip in mid-December.
OPTION 1
Day 1-arrive San Jose head-sleep Heredia B&B
Day 2-Coffee Tour/La Paz Waterfalls
Day 3-Braulio Carrillo Park (Rain forest canopy Tram). Head to Arenal in PM
Day 4-Arenal (Tabacon Spa hot springs)
Day 5-Hiking Arenal
Day 6-Leave
OPTION 2
Day 1-Arrive San Jose-sleep Heredia B&B
Day 2-Coffee Tour/La Paz Waterfalls-Dpert for Arenal in PM
Day 3-Hiking/Hot Springs Tabacon
Day 4- Taxi-Boat-Taxi to Montverde
Day 5-Cloud Forest Canopy Tour in Montverde
Day 6-Depart
OPTION 3
Day 1-Arrive San Jose-sleep Heredia B&B
Day 2-Coffe Tour/La Paz-head to Arenal in PM
Day 3- Hiking/Hot springs Arenal
Day 4-Los Angeles Rain Forest
Day 5-Cano Negro
Day 6-depart
THANKS for any input.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Your option 2 seems the best. They do have a waterfall in Arenal area in case you want to skip La Paz waterfall. We were at Arenal last week and never saw the Volcano although the Hot springs made it worth it. I heard that if your not staying at Tabacon, which you get the Hot Springs free, there is a place right across the road with Hot Springs for only $8 entry fee.Selventura canopy zip lines made Monteverde worth it.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM

I thought your option 2 was the least attractive (sorry to conflict another post) because you don't have enough time to work in quality time at Monteverde. Takes too long to get in and out of there. You have 6 days. The Los Angeles Cloud Forest is convenient (right on the road between SJO and Arenal). This is the perfect amount of time to really check out and enjoy the area--Arenal, La Paz, Braulio Carillo (even on up to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui), perhaps a cruise on the Sarapiqui River. I haven't been to Cano Negro, and you will certainly be in position to go there logistically, but I was always under the impression that you would benefit more from seeing that area when there was more water (during the green season) since the increased water attracts more waterfowl. I'd stay with option 1 or 3!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

HELP-now I need a tie breaker, I am more confused than ever. This is what I want to see, coffee plantation, waterfalls, rain/cloud forest and arenal. I will take any suggestions.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:34 AM

I vote for option 3. As was mentioned, you won't have time to really see the Monteverde area. You will have plenty of cloud forest viewing around Arenal if you go to the Hanging Bridges, Los Angeles, Cano Negro. I have been on the tour boat on the Sarapiqui 3 times and have not seen nearly as much as I did in Cano Negro. Braulio Carrillo is an amazing place but I just don't think you would get enough out of just one canopy ride to justify the time. Doka Coffee Plantation is a good trip as is the La Paz waterfall garden. Lots of companies have combo tours with those now. Quite a few people do go there on their way to Arenal.
Mid Dec should have plenty of migratory birds arriving in Cano Negro. The actual migration starts showing up around mid to late Nov.
I would allow 2 1/2-3 hrs to get to the airport from Arenal plus the 1 1/2-2hr pre departure time that they tell you. Getting your exit stamp doesn't take long but getting through the check in line can seem like it takes forever sometimes.