Anyone been to Las Pumas, Guanacaste?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, Has anyone been to Las Pumas it is evidently a refuge for injured cats somewhere in Guanacaste? If we were staying on Papagayo Bay can anyone give directions?
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM

Hi: I am from Costa Rica and I visited las Pumas last November and yes it is a refuge for injured cats, however they now have other kind of animals such as birds, monkeys and others. It is located near Coribici River in Cañas, next to La Pacifica Restaurant. If you will be in Papagayo, you will have to drive like an hour, coming back to Liberia and then Cañas and look for Corobici River. The refuge is located on your left hand, coming from Papagayo.
Hope you enjoy your visit
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much - do you feel it would be worth the trip? Do you get to touch anything?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 12:05 PM

You are not aloud to touch any animal. I am not sure wheter to recommend the tour coming from Papagayo, due to distance. Maybe if you travel from San Jose to Papagayo or on the way back to San Jose, you could ask the driver to stop for the visit, but I won´t recommend to come just for the visit, unless you are defenitely attracted to this kind of refuges.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Have not been to Las Pumas, but when considering other driving trips we have taken in CR, I really don't think this one would be too far for you.

We drove from the same area, you are staying to the Corbici for rafting one day.

Also I remembered a post from several months ago about a beautiful waterfall in this same general area. I included in my post an excerpt from rbrazil about this.

Hope this gives you a couple more ideas for the day.

Author: rbrazill
Date: 11/08/2004, 10:34 pm
Message: I think the waterfall Shillmac is referring to is caleed Llanos des Cortes. It is just north of Bagaces on the Interamericana. For some reason there is no sign for it when heading south from Liberia, but there is a sign in the northerly direction. If you get to Bagaces, you've gone too far; turn around and you'll see the sign. The entrance is on the west side of the highway, and there is a small soda on that side of the road. Follow the dirt road for about 1/4 mile and there will be a sign which says catarata 1km (it's actually further.) Follow that road until you see a clearing. There will probably be a kid there who will "watch" your car for a small fee. Pay him: it's worth it. The falls are down a short slope. It is a beautiful falls with a sandy beach around it. Maybe the prettiest place on earth. If you go during the week, you may have it all to yourselves.