Any don't miss places in Panama City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Panama City in February and have no idea as to what to do or see. Into architecture, history, wine food etc.
Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:50 AM

For architecture/history, visit the small Casco Viejo area of PC. Have lunch at Manolo Carraca(sp?). Several nice museums there. Visit ruins of old city at Panama Viejo. These two together could be a day (an actually a short one).

Don't miss exploring the canal in some way - even if you THINK you're not interested. And, by the way, you still have time to read David McCullough's excellent (but very FAT) book "Path Between the Seas" on canal bldg. Fascinating. You can get a taxi out to Miraflores lock and have lunch outside on the deck there, watch ship come through the lock.

We also enjoyed driving out Amador causeway. Lovely drive culminating in marina area with some restaurants. Good people watching spot.

Lots of craft vendors located at the YMCA (can't tell you where in city it's located - even our cab driver had to call his Dad to find out - but someone tipped us off that this was a good place to go . .. ).

Lots of good restaurants in PC, I'll look up names of some others we went to, but Manolo Carraca was wonderful -
casual - charming - and really interesting food!

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

glover, many thanks - this is just the sort of information I am looking for.
Please let me know about the restaurants - will impress my friends with the local knowledge.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Limoncillo was the other restaurant we went to in PC that we liked - a chic upscale kinda place.

We also really liked the restaurant in the Bristol Hotel (which we only went to cause we stayed there). Food was wonderful there - atmosphere sort of macho/clubby - like the rest of hotel. But very nice.

That's all we had time for - but really there's lots to choose from and Manalo Caracol is a real charmer!

Also forgot to say - if you're at all interested in nature/birds, spend some time in Gamboa area near P.C. (you can take a cab there too). Great birdwatching along Pipeline Road, Soberania Park, and there's a little zoo out there too.

PC's own Metropolitan Park is good for nature also.

While I mentioned Amador for drink at marina and people watching, I'm not aware of any great restaurants there - maybe others are. There are some, but not any favorites as I recall. ...

We really enjoyed Panama City. Where are you staying? We stayed in two dramatically different locations - one the aforementioned fancy Bristol and the other La Estancia B&B up on the Cerro Ancon (hill with 360 view of PC). Enjoyed both.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Glover,
Right now they have us staying at the (ugh) Country in & Suites, I guess due to location (next to canal)- just checked airfare $1100 out of CVG - OUCH
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Don't be horrified by the Country Inn and Suites. I have a friend who can afford anyplace down there and she always picks the Country Inn and Suites because it has such a great location and she can sit and watch the ships gather for their trips through the Canal. Enjoy your visit. Glover has given you some great tips.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:03 PM

I stayed at Country Inn and Suites when I was in Panama. I will admit that it never would have been my first choice if my friend hadn't already been to Panama and stayed there. We enjoyed our stay, the scenery is beautiful and you can walk along the water.
We went to a folklore show at Las Tinjas that was a lot of fun. We went to a dinner show after bird watching, and visiting the canal. It was a nice way to relax at the end of the day.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Restaurants: as mentioned Manolo Caracol is great, set menu that changes each night, mainly seafood but will cater to non-seafood eaters (like me)...
S'cena is also in Casco Viejo and is superb, young Spanish chef, great prices
Rene's Cafe on Cathedral Plaza is very good as well, set menu similar to MC but with more Asian twist.
Unfortunately, Limoncillo closed down, the building was sold out from under the girls and they probably won't be opening up in another location. In that same area though- Calle Uruguay - there's Palms, where I had one of the best dinners in Panama, Ozone Cafe for an eclectic but tasty menu, and tons of other restaurants and clubs to choose from. For wine lovers there's 1985/Rincon Suizo in El Cangrejo, Willy probably has one of the most extensive cellars in Latin America.

Must Sees: Panana Vieja - 1st City, Casco Viejo - 2nd City and while there you need to see the Canal Museum on the Cathedral Plaza (closed Monday as are most museums etc.), Miraflores Visitor's Center at the Miraflores locks, Day trip to Embera Drua indigenous village if you have time, Train trip across the isthmus (Monday to Friday 7:15am from Panama and 5:15pm from Colon), then arrange to visit Portobelo area - the main Spanish town 500 years ago.

Hope this helps,
Andrew