Search

Restaurants, things to do in Panama City

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants, things to do in Panama City

Hi there!

I somehow thought that when I did a search on this board for restaurants in Panama City, that I would come up with a ton of recommendations, but that's not the case! So, here's the question...

My husband and I are heading to Panama for 2 weeks at the beginning of October (yay!), and we'll be spending 3 days or so in Panama City. With some of your help, we chose to stay at the Sevilla Suites. Now we're looking for some specific recommentations about good places to eat (especially for local cuisine, but not exclusively...) - we'll be celebrating my husband's 30th birthday while there and so would love to know some good places to go.

Also, any recommendations about bars/clubs/entertainment/other things to do while in the City?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Jenn
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:15 AM

We spent three nights in Panama City this past Janaury. One night we took a cab out to the causway, wandered around then just picked an inviting looking restaurant and had some decent, if not memorable, Mexican food.

The day we did the all day canal transit, we arrived back at the hotel after 9pm. Long day. There's a wine bar/Italian restaurant right across the street from Sevilla Suites. The pizza was great, as was the Caprese. Huge wine list, nice singer. We were glad to have a place so close, we were exhausted. We weren't used to the prices, and got a pizza that was way too large for us. The desk staff and security at Sevilla Suites were more than happy to take the leftovers. The other night we ate at a small Columbian steakhouse that was a short walk away. Small place, decent food, steaks and chicken were cooked outside. If I recall, my husband's steak dinner, my chicken dinner and a couple beers were something like $13.00.

There was also a small cafe with outdoor seating where we would stop for something to drink and watch the people go by. We never made it any clubs.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM

The travel section of this week's edition of the NYTimes features Panama. Worth a read.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys. And that NY Times article had a lot of info - thanks for mentioning it! It's made me even more excited about our trip

Anyone else out there have any other suggestions?
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Well, since you asked...I suggest you rent a car and drive up to Santa Clara to enjoy the beach, take a trip to El Valle on Sunday to visit the market, contact the folks at the Smithsonian as soon as you arrive to see if you can tour the refuge island, do a partial transit of the canal, sit on the Amador causeway at sunset, enjoy the gorgeous country .