Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Anniversary in CR or Belize, luxury + laid back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I usually spend our anniversary in Zihuatanejo, Mexico, at Villa del Sol and/or La Casa Que Canta (where we were married). But prices have gone up once again and I'm thinking we might go somewhere else this year. (Anniversary is December 1st, we usually leave home on Thanksgiving Day and return on December 3rd or so -- about a week.)

Considering Costa Rica, Belize, or another spot in Mexico (Manzanillo or Playa del Carmen). We'd want a small property on or near the beach with great food, wonderful staff, and perhaps some luxury touches. But we hate a snobby "see and be seen" kind of place. We don't need television, telephones, or internet access. We don't need lots of nightlife. We do need a pool, comfy beds, good food and drinks, and relaxation. We would ideally like to spend no more than $300 per night for lodging.

I'd love your feedback, especially from those who have seen Villa del Sol and/or La Casa Que Canta and can make comparisons with other properties.

Thank you!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Iza

For what you are looking for, definitely check Florblanca in Malpais/Santa Teresa, Costa Rica (www.florblanca.com). We spent 4 days there last August and could not have been happier. It is a small property right on a beautiful beach. The pool is very relaxing. Food is great. I would highly recommend it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:42 PM

In that same general area, try Tambor Tropical or Tango Mar (both in Tambor). Costa Rica has many little private and beautiful places for just the kind of vacation you are describing! Many of them you can get for only $125-150 per night (quite luxurious).
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM

La Casa Que Canta was so beautiful!! We spent a week there for my 40th birthday a few years ago. I don't think anything can touch it! However, we have stayed at two wonderful places in costa Rica. Makanda-by-the-Sea in Manuel Antonio is very beautiful. It sits on a hillside overlooking the ocean, but you can walk down to an almost private beautiful beach. Beautiful pool/restaurant. (sorry I keep using the "beautiful" word...it just fits) We just got back from a four day stay at Flor Blanca on the Nicoya Peninsula and really liked it, also. It is on a great beach, rooms and pool are beautiful. Food was great but the service in the restaurant ran hot and cold. We got tired of eating in the same restaurant, tho. Only one other rest. within walking distance, but the hotel can call you a cab into town. More wildlife to see in Manuel antonio, I think) We flew into San Jose and took a Sansa flight to our destination both times. 25 minute flight vs. 4-6 hour drive. Playa del Carmen is pretty, look into the Maroma near there...small, pretty. (We HATE big hotels!)
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:32 AM

I've been to CQC and VDS, so I'd say check out El Tamarindo 45 minutes north of Manzanillo. It has everything you just discribed. All with private plunge pools & jacuzzis, outdoor dining/lounging area surrounded by candles at night, mini bar, spa treatments, great service, provate beach, very secluded yet small surrounding towns are accessible if desired. Very romantic!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

PeggyE, I've been looking at Tamarindo so your posting is a great help! If we end up staying in Mexico then that might be just the spot.