Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Amazon Basin vs. Cusco - How many days of travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Peru for 9 days. I plan to spend half a day and one full day in Lima. However, I can't decide if I should spend 5 days in Cusco, which would consist of one day exploring the city, three days for the Sacred Valley and spending one night in Aquas Calientes and going early in the morning to Machu Picchu for the day. Then I'll be headed to Puerto Maldonado for 3 days/2 nights. OR should I limit my trip in Cusco to 4 days and go to Puerto Maldonado for 4 days/3 nights. I have never been to the rainforest before and I'm not sure how much time to spend there. I'm having a tough time making a decision and I need to book my flight soon.

I plan to stay at Posada Amazonas or Refugio Amazonas depending on how many days I spend in the Amazon.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, definitely add a day to your rainforest jaunt. We didn't go to the rainforest in Peru, we went in Ecuador (and have also been in Costa Rica, etc several times).

The rainforest is fabulous, and 2 nights won't be enough. We were in Peru and Ecuador in July - did Lima/Cusco/Sacred Valley. You might change your itinerary to 1/2 day in Lima and cut out the night in Aguascaliente. If you can spend night in Ollantaytambo (a much nicer down than Aguas) and take the earliest train, you should have plenty of time for all day at Macchu Picchu. Aguas is a way overpriced nothing tourist town.

Though I don't know anything about lodges etc in Puerto Maldonado - I do know that you'll love the rainforest and need to add at least a day there. ..