all inclusive

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 09:32 AM
Natalie

all inclusive

Going with family of 17 and looking for resorts in cozumel ,akumal or Cancun .Grandchildren range from 5-19 . Prefer a place where we can snorkle right from the beach as all snorkle. Must be all inclusive. thanks

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 02:57 PM
maureen

Try Robinson Club. There was a nice walk in reef about 200 yards north of the hotel 2 years ago. With the hurricanes in the past two years, i hope it is still there. The resort is nice with fantastic food and lots to do for everyone. E mail me any furthur questions. Maureen
[email protected]

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 10:43 AM
debbie

Natalie - see my post TO BECKY RE: RIU YUCATAN in the forum. By staying at any one of the all-inclusives along the beach in Playa del Carmen, you would be between Cancun and Akumal (45 minutes or so to either place) and only a ferry ride away from Cozumel. Although the snorkeling is not that great off the beaches at the resorts in Playacar (right next to PDC and all strung along the beach), you can head down to Akumal for snorkelling right off the beach. With such a large family you could probably arrange to rent a few minibuses to take yourselves down to Akumal. Also, for the best in snorkelling, you can take the ferry from PDC to Cozumel ($12. U.S. per) and then any cab driver can take y'all down to Chanakanaab Park or Playa Corona for fabulous snorkelling.
*** Another advantage of staying at one of the all-inclusives in PDC (in the Playacar resort area), is the easy access to the two ecological parks called Xcaret and Xel-ha where there is also snorkelling, swimming with the dolphins, etc, etc, etc.
For all inclusives here, check Allegro, RIU Yucatan, Royal Hideaway ($$$), and Iberostar. In the travel brochures, this area is called the Mayan Riveria - look for it. Trust me you won't go wrong here!

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 05:20 AM
joe

I agree with the previous post about Playa Del Carmen. This is a beautiful area and the beaches and water are incredible. We stayed at the Royal Hideaway in Playacar area and thought it was the best vacation we ever had. See my review of Royal Hideaway in a previous posting.

This area is central to so many activities. From the resort area you can get to Playa Del Carmen in less than 5 minutes for shopping. We took a one day trip to Xel-Ha park and Tulum ruins. It was only about 30 minutes from the Roayl Hideaway. Also, you are very close to the ferry that goes across to Cozumel.

Cancun seemed much more crowed. The Playacar area seemed to be much less crowded and very well maintained. Akumal seemed even less crowded than Playa Del Carmen. PDC is an actual city ,whereas Playacar was a small resort area less than 5 minutes from PDC.

Snorkelling is probably best around Cozumel but I think most resorts have trips that go out to the reefs surrounding Cozumel. The Royal Hideaway and Allegro resorts had a snorkelling excursion every morning in addition to the day trips you can take. I think most all inclusives have some snorkelling trips from the resort. The most enjoyable snorkelling we found was at Xel-Ha park. Here you can snorkle on an inlet from the ocean. See my review of Xel-Ha in my previous post 'Just Back from Royal Hideaway'.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 10:12 AM
debbie

Hi Joe! From the sounds of it, you are going to go back to that area just as we plan to! Even with two weeks, we didn't do everything we wanted. My husband wants to see Chichen Itza so the $100. plane tour from PDC looks good to him as it will cut off hours of travel on a bus.
Anyhow - Xel-ha - sounds like you took the exact same tour we did to see Tulum and Xel-ha but my husband found the snorkeling there only so-so but maybe because he was just out in the middle where everyone tended to gather...did you get a chance to snorkel down towards the end (along the 'river' area I think they called it)? My husband walked down to that end to see the small bit of ruins they have there and noticed that there was less people and much clearer water - is this where you found the snorkelling to be better?

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 10:28 AM
ben

Ben,

Try the Crown Paradise Club in Cancuun. We loved it, as it is large enough to offer losts of activities. They also have a great kids program as well. They offer nightly entertainment, a beautiful beach and nice pool with swim up bar. Check it out.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 10:28 AM
ben

Ben,

Try the Crown Paradise Club in Cancuun. We loved it, as it is large enough to offer losts of activities. They also have a great kids program as well. They offer nightly entertainment, a beautiful beach and nice pool with swim up bar. Check it out.