Search

? on AI in Playa Del Carmen

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 10:58 AM
Lori

? on AI in Playa Del Carmen

We are planning a trip to Playa in April, 2000. I am questioning whether it is worthwhile to stay at an AI when we plan on taking a lot of day trips such as Cozumel and Cancun. I have two kids, ages 10 and 16, who love the AI plan but would it be a waste of money? Are there any non-AI's that offer facilites for kids, such as great pools and programs for them? Any info would be great.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 03:24 PM
Susan

I never go all inclusive. It's been a couple of years since I've been to Playa, but I remember lots of good restaurants in town. There also seemed to be a lot of people staying at all-inclusives eating at those restaurants! I thought that was interesting considering they had already paid for their meals elsewhere. Especially if you're going to be doing a lot of day trips (and there are a lot of good day trips in that area), it seems to me to be a waste. Can't really recommend any hotels - we tend to stay in smaller places in town which is probably not what you are looking for.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 02:03 PM
maureen

Many AI's will pack a lunch for day trips. Another possability is the Continental Plaza Playacar. It is near the ferry and close to town, has a nice pool and bar outside.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 09:36 AM
jenny

Lori, <BR> <BR>The only advantage of the AI with kids is that they usually cater the menu a little to kids. When you venture out of the resort, most of the food is going to be authentic, which many times children won't eat. Spicy, beans and rice can get old.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 09:59 AM
dan woodlief

Unless you do it for your kids, I would stay at a regular hotel. Don't do it for food. Mexican food is a lot more varied than the Mexican/Southwest cuisine that we are familiar with here. Not all beans, rice, and tacos, and a lot is not spicy at all. Lots of seafood and chicken, for example. You will even find that the tacos and salsa are very different from what you get in most Mexican restaurants in the U.S.