Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

All experts on Rio at night-looking for fun and safety

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Roula

Will be in Rio 3-7 Feb and then heading to Salvador for Carnival. While in Rio would like to go to some cool night clubs, bars and restaurants. Am female and 32, will be travelling with another girl and guy. Main concern is the safety issue at night. We are staying in Ipanema. Is it safe to use cabs at night to get to and from the clubs and bars. Especially on the way back, do you just hail one down on the street ? <BR>We like latin music, R & B, dancy tunes but not techno, more the groovy beats. Look more for places with atmosphere and Cariocas so we can meet some locals.<BR>Evelyn, Surlok, any other experts - what areyour suggestions ?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:39 PM
Paulo

You are at the right place. Ipanema is fine, but you should keep eyes open anyplace in Rio. There are good dancing places and Restaurants in Barra, but it is a little bit far away.<BR><BR>Paulo, rio de janeiro

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
Roula

Thanks Paulo.<BR><BR>Can you give me the names of any places definitely worth checking out ?<BR><BR>Roula.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:43 PM
Don

Roula, since your not into techno, sometimes I go to a place in Lagoa which is right behind Ipanema, its a restaurent called Mistura Fina, good place to eat with a lively bar and a live band playing. Plenty of friendly Cariocas at this bar and upstairs they have a show twice a night of maybe Bossa Nova type and other brazilian music of big name bands. Try Peoples in Leblon which is the neighborhood right next door to Ipanema. There are alot of nice clubs in Rio, when I have time I will send the links to your email. There is a big disco in Copacabana called HELP, I wouldn't recommend to single women but Im sure tourists go there, a safe place inside but a little on the wild side, this place is not for everybody.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:49 PM
Roula

Thanks Don.<BR>I will wait for your email. One thing i want to know though - how come you do not recommend HELP for single women ?<BR><BR>Roula.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:55 PM
Helena

Hello!<BR> <BR> I suggest you some nice restaurant-discos : Guapo Loco ( mexican food ); Hard Rock Cafe ( after 12:00 a.m it's a disco), People ( disco, age: 20-25), The Bedroom( disco), Lord Jim ( pub); Nuth Lounge ( disco). <BR><BR>If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! <BR><BR> Best Regards!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:00 PM
Roula

Hi Helena.<BR>Thanks for that. One more thing - We arrive on Sunday and leave on Thursday so I need to know if these places are good during the week ?<BR><BR>Roula.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:37 PM
dk

Dear Roula,<BR> Trying to remember a website that had a Carioca (a native of Rio), giving great advice on nightlife. Until I recall it, I suggest not going to HELP Disco because it is for men and women of easy virtue. Also there have been many armed robberies of tourists in the vicinity of the disco late at night, even on Avenida Atlantica itself, near HELP. I suppose an exclamation point would make the name even more appropriate. Will attempt to get the info I have in mind to you. D.K.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:15 AM
dk

Roula,<BR>Found it! Go to http://travel.concierge.com/features/insiderguide/rio/rio_thismonth.html<BR>I don't believe that this article is accessible through concierge.com's home page any longer. One more thing, about taking the taxi from club to club or to the hotel at night: You'll notice when you first take a cab later at night, that they don't stop at stopsigns or for redlights. This is to get you to your destination safely. Conversely, you don't want to walk around Rio at night without knowing where your at; where your going and what's in between. This is true of any city this size. One more tip: When in a club in Rio, don't let your boyfriend confront any macho types who may be looking for trouble. They probably want to show off their jujitsu skills, which are used in no-holds barred, bareknuckle contests in Brazil. Just be cool and do your own thing. You don't have time on your vacation to waste on bull poopoo. The natural setting of Rio de Janeiro makes it one of the most beautiful cities in the world and I think that the Brazilians generally are a warm and beautiful people. D.K.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:01 PM
Roula

DK,<BR>Thanks for the tip. I will take a look at the website. in the meantime I think I will give HELP a miss as I am definitely not a working girl and I do not have a boyfriend.<BR><BR>Roula.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:43 PM
Helena

hi,<BR><BR> All those places are good at the weekend but since you will not spend any weekend here, let me try to help you:<BR><BR>Nuth Lounge- good also at Sunday and Wednesday.<BR><BR>The Bedroom- good ate Wednesday and Friday <BR>People- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday<BR><BR>Guapo Loco- Tuesday and Wednesday.<BR><BR>Hard Rock Cafe- as a restaurant it is ok all days. As a disco I am not pretty sure.<BR><BR>Lord Jim- as a pub it is ok also during the week.<BR><BR> Hope it can be helpfull!!<BR><BR> Feel free to ask me anything! Have fun!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Elizabeth

Do not go to HELP!!! It is very know in Rio to be a huge prostitution pick up place. Roula stay away from Copacabana area. Ipanema is worlds apart. There is some great advise here. Please please avoid HELP like the plague. The locals will even tell you. Good luck!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Surlok

That's true. help caters mostly to men in seek of hores, or someone to spend the night with.<BR><BR>There are better places. I'll be topping a thread (Rio Atantica Hotel...etc) with many recommendations on Rio night life.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Surlok

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Helena,<BR>I found your replies to be very helpful. thanks. Are you from Rio?
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t