Search

Akumal Condo Pls. Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akumal Condo Pls. Help

Our group has decided on one of two condos in Akumal for this winter. They are The Reef or Luna Azul. If anyone has stayed at either please tell me what you thought as far as cleanliness, freshness, A.C in the condos and shade coverage on the beach and general feel. Is one condo much better than the other? Does it matter what floor you are on? Will it matter that ther is not a pool? I really appreciate it.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 04:20 AM

We've stayed in Luna Azul and our daughter and her hubby stayed in the Reef. Most of the condos on Half Moon Bay are very similar in design. Over the yrs we have spent time in most of the condos along the bay there. There is a small pool at Playa Caribe and also at Villas Flamingo and Hacienda Tortuga. We have never missed a pool, but we did stay several times at P. Caribe and did use the pool.
We prefer upper level so that we can sit and enjoy watching the turtles, rays and large fish swim by. It is not fun though pulling the luggage up lots of stairs in the heat!

The Reef is smaller , not as many units. But either would be great. Since you mentioned group I would go with the Reef. Have more privacy maybe , if that is an issue. All of the condos have excellent cleaning services.
The 2 condos you mention are side by side. There is limited
shade, each condo has palapa huts, not enough for all of the units in Luna Azul. That may be an issue high season when most of the condos are pretty full.
Remember the beach is great, but the Bay itself is reef and not a great swimming beach. You will def. need beach/water shoes and snorkeling gear. Half Moon Bay is beautiful and known for its snorkeling.
Book soon, winter season books very early and at times very limited availability. Hope this helps!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to have a pool to enjoy a beach vacation, just a personal preference.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. I am concerned that we will be too hot with little shade or is there enough of a wind to cool things off? Will we be able to swim in the bay to cool off? Is there an advantage to the bottom floor?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:48 AM

There is usually a very nice breeze. Certainly cooler in winter vs summer.
I prefer upper level due to the more expansive views and more privacy, but some like being able to literally step out onto the sand, not go up and down the stairs every time they need something: drink, book, banos etc etc.

You can swim (carefully due to the reef and rocky bottom), but there are many beutiful beaches to explore in the area.