advice on hotels, private drivers and itinerary

Old May 27th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice on hotels, private drivers and itinerary

Hi everyone - I have posted and lurked on this site for months just soaking up all the info. We are heading to CR on our Honeymoon from Nov 6th - 19th and we CANNOT wait! I am struggling with a couple things... hotel in Manuel Antonio and one in Arenal. My choices in Manuel Antonio is Makanda, Mango Moon or Tulemar. I really want some place that has AC and is nice (its our honeymoon afterall) is clean. I was sold on Mango Moon and then was told it's not near the MA beach? I know most hotels in MA aren't on the beach anyway but didn't realize there was a MA beach? Is that true?

As for Arenal - I was thinking Arenal Parasio or Lost Iguana. I know Lost Iguana is farther away - does that make a difference and can you see the volvano from there?

Also, can anyone suggest a private driver for our trip. We fly into San Jose (land at 7:30 am) drive to MA spend several days there, then drive to Arenal, spend several days there and then head to 4S in Guanancaste region - for those of you who are 4S haters - don't hate me! It's my honeymoon! : ) I also think we can add one more place but not really interested in Monteverde...any other suggestions that are on our route? We want to end at the 4S and are flying out of Liberia.

Sorry this was longer than expected...

Sally
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Just a couple of things; the rest I can't help you with! We liked Arenal Paraiso for its "in the middle of things" location and proximity to the volcano. Fabulous view. Someone who was recently in the Arenal area told me that they loved Lost Iguana. They had a nice view from there with lava flow (they lucked out on the visibility) and everything.

No one is going to criticize you for staying at the 4S---it will be a wonderful place for honeymooning. As will all of Costa Rica! It's not like you are going to keep yourself within that property for an entire week, and even if you did--that's your business! Have a great time, and congratulations!
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Shillmac.. I have read many of your responses on Costa Rica and they are always helpful! Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Villa Caletas beats anything we saw in CR hands down: most gorgeous views, best rooms, best food.
Xandari and Peace Lodge-- both near San Jose__ also had splendid views and splendid accommodations. Also, both had wonderful hiking right on the lovely grounds. And La Paz has the terrific butterfly and hummingbird gardens-- truly awesome.
We weren't crazy abt Makanda, but mainly that was because it was noisy (construction, road traffic, etc.) It's a pleasant place otherwise.
Congrats on your marriage! Marriage is wonderful!!
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

I will have to check out Villa Caletas. I am guessing that is in or near MA. Thanks for the input. Nice to hear someone say marriage is wonderful! : ) Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:03 PM

You asked about a private driver. My husband, 21 yr. old daughter and 18 yr. old son had "Leo" Leonardo Rodriguez of Lera Travel drive us from San Jose to Tamarindo last week and he is a #1.Great driver #2.Wealth of knowledge #3.Prompt #4.Enjoyed by all of us #5.Willing to stop as you need to #6.Impecable English (and French), I could go on and on. He is a college grad and starting his own business, has a 2002 Toyota van, etc. You have picked a great place to Honeymoon. My family will be back - the kids will come back for yrs. to come.