Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed for Costa Rica 1st Timers!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!

I need your help with a Costa Rica trip that I am just beginning to plan for Christmas 2009. I know that Costa Rica is very busy at this time, so I am trying to choose hotels now so that I can make advance reservations. After researching the board I have found that a good 1st timers suggestion for seeing Costa Rica is to split your time between Arenal and Manuel Antonio. We are a family of 4 (maybe 5!) adults. There will be two (or 3) of us in our mid 20's and our 2 parents.

1. I am looking for suggestions of where to stay in MA and Arenal. I have looked into La Posada in MA and El Silencio del Campo in Arenal. Are these recommended or are there better suggestions for a family our size? I am open to anything up to $250 a night!

2. What is the best way to get from the airport to Arenal and from Arenal to Manuel Antonio? We don't want to rent a vehicle, so we are looking into hiring a driver, buses, etc. What do you all recommend?

3. If we do not rent a car, is there an easy way to get around Arenal and Manuel Antonio when we are there for tours, day trips etc?

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions in advance. I really appreciate it

Kristin
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM

You can arrange for most of the tours in Arenal to pick you up.

As for where to stay... I went to Arenal for the vocano, most of all. So I wanted to stay on the side of the volcano that is active.

To cut costs, I stayed at the Linda Del Vista Norte. It wasn't bad, but if I had it to do over, I would have stay at Arenal Observatory Lodge.

I rented a vehicle and would do so again.

Hope you have as much fun as I did!

Keith
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM

We stay at the Lost Iguana in Arenal; it has great volcano views. In MA, I'd pick Buena Vista Villas. Si Como No is popular with families too. You'll have to check the costs to see if they're in your budget.

Most of the hotels in MA are clustered on the hill and have great sunset views of the water. La Posada is closer to the park.

We always hire private drivers; we paid $120 to go from the airport to Arenal, and $180 to go from Arenal to MA. We used taxis in both cities since we didn't have a car. Most tours that we've gone on have picked us up. Some hotels also offer free shuttles, but you need to check with your hotel. Interbus is another popular way to get from city to city, but you'll pay a per person charge, unlike a driver which is a set rate regardless of number of people.

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions, thank you! Volcanogirl, do you hire a private driver before arriving in costa rica or does your hotel concierge arrange that for you? also, how do you know what a reasonable rate is? thank you so much for all your help! if anyone has anymore hotel/resort recommendations in both the manuel antonio and or arenal area please let me know! thanks!!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Drivers make sense for your crew

if you do not want to rent a car

several good ones on the

www.tripadvisor.com CR branch

www.lostiguanaresort.com

best in your budget or

www.royalcorin.com next to SDC

little closer into town.

www.tulemar.com my fav in MA

have fun,
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:09 PM

J, we always just book it when we book the hotel. I would tell them I'd like a room for x nights and can you arrange a driver for us, give them your flight info. etc. I posted the prices we paid, so that should give you an idea. We've had good drivers that have also sort of narrated along the way, answered questions, etc. Some have brought us blankets and pillows to use, some bring bottled water. We've had good luck! Our last driver waited several hours at the airport for us when our flight was delayed. They have your name on a sign, so you just look for it and then they whisk you away. Very easy!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Hi Kristin -- You spell your name the same way that I do!

I love El Silencio del Campo. The bungalows are spacious and really cute. The grounds are lovely. The family that owns it is wonderful. Are you trying to fit everyone in one room or two? There a lots of tours to take depending on your interests. Hanging bridges, waterfalls, cultural or adventure, zip-lining, Venado caves, Eco-Thermales hot springs, etc.

I also really wanted to stay at La Posada, but it was full when we were there. We stayed at Buena Vista Villas which was nice but very expensive. A better and lesser expensive choice might be the upper floor of the Mot-Mot at Tulemar Bungalows for the whole gang. It is nice having the private beach to walk to. The Finca Valmy horseback tour and Ronny's Place for dinner were both great!

We've used Interbus a lot to get from place to place, but it's true with a family your size it would be the same cost as a private driver.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Almost forgot my favorite, Cano Negro!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM

I second the vote for Arenal Observatory Lodge. It's very nice, clean, BIG rooms. And it is amazing to be able to watch the lava flow from your private balcony at night.

For info/pics from our trip:
http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot....osta-rica.html
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone! You all have given me so many great ideas and choices that I am excited to research. Volcanogirl thank you for your information about the drivers, that is very very helpful! And thank you Kristin (yay for Kristin spelled with an "i"!!) for your hotel recommendations. Silencio del Campo right now is looking like a great option! We are going to try and fit everyone in 1 room if there are 4 of us...if there are 5 we will probably have to do 2. I kind of like the set up at La Posada of the 2 bedroom unit, it looks sort of apartment-like, so that may be accommodating if we do have 5 people. Thank you for the suggestion of Cano Negro as well Katrina, I'm going to read your Costa Rica blog right now Thanks again everyone!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM

I highly recommend Si Como No...which is about 1/2 way between Quepos and MA. While you're in Quepos, take the entire family salt water fishing for sailfish..it's one of the top spots in the world. My recommendation is the Unique run by Bill Gannon who will actually find fish for you rather than just giving you a boat ride. It's expensive, but it's an incredible thrill pulling in these 100# plus beautiful fish (which are released).

Arenal .. visit the hot springs but don't stay there (too expensive). Good luck on actually seeing the volcano which is generally covered with a cloud...many visit without seeing it.

Having flown a few times inside Costa Rica, I very very highly recommend that you get a private driver..it will be cheaper than flying anyway. On my last flight, I sat behind a gentleman who was holding the arms of his seat so hard his knuckles were white. I commented to his wife that he obviously didn't like to fly. Her response: he's a jet fighter pilot in the US Airforce....but he is watching what's happening in the cockpit. That was my last intra costa rica flight....
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM

J - we spent a week at Si Como No in Aug 07 with 2 teenagers. Since it was rainy season, we got an extremely good rate. You can check if their rate during high season is within your budget. Beautiful views.

Great place for families. Separate adult and family pools, both with swim up bars. Great staff, who arranged all of our day tours. Very good food at both restaurants. Breakfast buffet (included in price) was quite extensive. Family highly recommended the on site spa. Free shuttle to the MA Park about every hour. Lots of other restaurants very close by. Really nice nature/butterfly preserve across the street (we got free passes with our rooms).

We rented a car, but it certainly isn't necessary in MA. Taxis/buses are plentiful and cheap.

In terms of getting to Arenal & MA, I'd also recommend a private driver if you're not going to fly. More relaxing to let someone else drive and show you sights along the way.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Regarding private driver, that depends on your own comfort/adventure level. Know that these particular routes are simple and the roads decent.

Personally, we find it more relaxing to drive ourselves and prefer not to have the 3rd party in the vehicle with us. We've done it that way a time or two, and while we don't mind the chatting/listening/learning, we also enjoy talking just between the two of us alone together. So the phrase "more relaxing" is an opinion, but not everyone's opinion.