Search

Actual Driving Times in CR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actual Driving Times in CR

Greetings!
I just discovered this site while planning our first family vacation to CR. I am getting conflicting information about driving distances within CR which will affect what areas we are able to visit. We are planning to fly into SJO and transfer by hired car to Arenal, staying at Tabacon. After our stay at Tabacon, our plan was to go by car to Monteverde, finally to Manuel Antonio, and then back to SJO. Can someone with experience give me a best guesstimate of the travel times by hired car/van for SJO to Arenal, Arenal to Monteverde, Monteverde to MA, and MA back to SJO. Thank you so much for your time.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I can help you with most of it. SJO to Arenal will take 3 hours. We've done it in 2.5, fairly easily, but it shouldn't take more than 3.

Arenal to Monteverde--haven't done that, guessing another 3-4 hours.

Monteverde to Manuel Antonio, about 3.5-4 hours

Manuel Antonio back to SJO, 3 hours.

All of those times depend, of course, on normal road/driving conditions and don't take into consideration trucks breaking down and backing up traffic, extremely heavy rains, etc--can and does happen occasionally, but not likely.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:58 AM

Hello! We are also planning our first trip to CR and wonder not only driving time from San Jose to Jaco, but the conditions of the road, and whether it is a treacherous drive? Would my car sick prone daughter need to brace herself? Thanks for the info if you have it!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:23 AM

The drive to Jaco is about 2 -2.5 hrs and part of the journey is on mountainous winding roads. Have her prepare with medication if desired.

The habit of CR drivers to pass on blind curves can be hair raising with very little shoulder to move into if needed.

The road was decent condition when we drove it two years ago. Watch out for the occasional pothole.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM

Mom23 - when going from Arenal to Monteverde (or vice versa) the road is about 4 1/2 - 5 hours and really bumpy. OR you can take the "Jeep Boat Jeep" which brings you across lake arenal on a boat/little ferry and then another van will drive you to your hotel. It's a nice boat ride and will cut at least an hour off of your travel. I highly recommend taking this route. Tabacon can hook you up w/ reservations to take this jeep boat jeep and they'll pick you up right from the hotel.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:05 AM

Great advice about the jeep/boat/jeep. You will have a car to think about and the transfer companies do have drivers who will drive your car up to Monteverde for you so you can do the trip.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:17 PM

The drives are not bad but to someone who does get carsick, maybe so. Be careful about your rental car. We had a flat and were later charged an additional $265 by TriColor. We returned the car on a Sunday and no Manager was there to let us know what the cost would be. Anyways, should you get one, fix it before you return the car. Have a BALL! The orchid garden in Monteverde is something really neat, don;t judge a book by it's cover (it looks a little rough from the outside). Also, eat at Sofia's with waiter Leesbeen, it is like Santa Fe, Costa Rican style.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:10 PM

My "take" of the road between SJO and Jaco is that it is very decent. I stated once on Fodor's that it is mountainous on the drive over to the Pacific coast and was corrected by a "difficult poster" that there were no mountains on that route and that perhaps I was thinking of the low hills in Guanacaste! LOL

At any rate, yes, it is a bit mountainous, but not like you are driving IN the mountains with lots hairpin curves, etc. It's a pretty straightforward road, fairly tame. Shouldn't be a problem for carsickness (I have it from time to time as well), but if your daughter is more sensitive than most then it certainly wouldn't hurt to take something in advance.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM

i've got a few driving distance questions of my own...

how about

poas volcano area to arenal?
and arenal to manuel antonio?

Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM

Poas to Arenal, 3 hours. . .estimating. .haven't done that actual route.

Arenal to Manuel Antonio--some will tell you 5 hours. I think it takes more like 6 by the time you stop for lunch, view the crocs at Rio Tarcoles, etc.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:01 AM

thank you shillmac and swigswig for the driving info. It is of great help. Sometimes just know what to expect is the best preparation. I will have her (and probably me) drink ginger ale and take alittle Bonine (same as dramamine, but it doesn't make you as drowsy). Anyway, thanks a bunch!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:26 AM

hi,
i had a few distances too
Monteverde to San Jose

-also should i set up the jeep boat jeep from arenal to monteverde here, or just find a company to take me once i am there?
thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM

If you know when you are traveling - I would set it up here. You can ask your hotel to set it up for you.

But if you're not sure I'm sure you could do it there also. But it's not a huge boat so it could fill up.