Search

Accomodations in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Ken Chambers

Accomodations in Costa Rica

Journeying in Costa Rica. Anyone help with some BnBs in the Costa Rica San Jose and airport area. Thanks.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Kathy

Dear Ken,<BR>Hi! We just got back from two weeks in Costa Rica. We found ourselves back in San Jose on three occasions. When we first arrived we stayed at the Grano de Oro. It is very nice and the food was very good. At a later point it was full and we stayed at the Brittania, it too was very nice and the food was okay. Both locations are at least a 20 minute taxi distance from the airport. Neither location is wonderful. In fact, I'm not sure that there are great locations in San Jose. By the time we were leaving the country and spending our last night before going to the airport early the next morning we decided to try the Hampton Inn which is a free 3 minute shuttle from the airport. It was very convenient, very acceptable, rather generic, they provide a continental breakfast and we were able to sleep that extra twenty minutes in the morning. The Grano de Oro definitely was an oasis in San Jose and the people there were very personal and helpful in assisting us with various travel plans. It had the best atmosphere. Hope that's helpful.<BR>Kathy

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Janey Reynolds

There are a fair amount of Bed and Breakfasts and Pensiones that I am acquainted with, and I've visited most of them (I've spent a lot of time in Costa Rica). Closest ones to the airport that are the most popular I know of include Villa Jose, Pension Alajuela , Los Volcanes, Mango Verde and Cannon's Oasis. Jim's Pension Alajuela is not a B&B but inexpensive with a soda around the corner. Sal's Los Volcanes is a recently nicely repainted & refurbished spot in the middle of the city on a block with at least a couple other hostels/B&Bs nearby, including Mango Verde which is recently expanded. Overall I'd rate Cannon's Oasis the highest. The owner, Mark is a sincere guy who gives a great value for your dollar. You can check out the websites for more on these places.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:29 AM
leslie

Ken;<BR><BR>Look at the Vista del Valle and the Xandari Planation Inn. Both seem to get high marks from everybody. Both are only 5 to 10 miles away from the airport. They are not in San Jose, but in the coffee plantation area. Do you have to go into San Jose.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Ally

Yes, Vista Del Valle and Xandari are great and hightly recommended. Also somewhat expensive though! Great , very inexpensive options are Vida Tropical (this may be the Villa Jose that another poster refers to, as the owners name is Jose) and Cannon's Oasis. For a great mid range option I love Orquideas Inn. Best, huge breakfast buffett, very good prices on the rooms, nice little pool, friendly people. It's also in Alajuela, so it's much closer to the airport than going into San Jose.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Terri

I can't personally vouch for this B&B yet(we'll be staying there in November), but it was recommended by Fodor's and has received good reviews from a few folks on this board. It's the Finca Rosa Blanca Inn.<BR><BR>http://www.finca-rblanca.co.cr/