accommodation in the mountains near Mendoza

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are going to Antarctica at the end of January 2008 and were planning to have 3 days in Mendoza to get over our journey from Perth Australia which is a long way! It is clearly a very hot time in Mendoza and we would prefer to be in the mountains where it is cool and beautiful.We have many stunning vineyards where we live but no mountains.I would be most grateful to hear about good accommodation with wonderful views - and any other info about the general area. Many thanks, Sally
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:33 AM

Check out this list of resorts in Mendoza:

http://www.resideo.com/ar/mendoza

The Hotel Internacional appears to be the highest rated -- now that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best. Check em out, view pics, quote, etc. and see what you like best!

Good luck..and have fun!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:32 AM

1. Sally asked for accommodation in the mountains, not in the city.

2. Why do you link to resideo? Hotel Internacional is one of the worst values in Mendoza, see http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...doza_Cuyo.html

3. This is an upscale option for mountain lodging, to get away from it all: http://www.ranchoecuero.com.ar/ingles/inicio.htm
There are also several cheaper hotels/lodges in the small mountain town Uspallata, or in Vallecitos or Potrerillos, in the lower Andes.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for great information.That place looks wonderful. They are very barren mountains aren't they. Are there any lakes or rivers nearby?
Thanks
Sally
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:21 AM

EntreCopas:

1) She said she 'preferred' a mountain accommodation, to which I attempted to find (unsuccesfully). However, I didn't want to leave her request unanswered...

2) I like resideo, it's pretty much one the better online hotel sites i've found, so i link to them. I should have mentioned going to tripadvisor in my original post, as I try to do that on a regular basis. Can't beat tripadvisor for reviews!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou both again. I do really mean higher latitudes as I believe Mendoza is very hot in Jan/Feb. I have been looking at TripAdvisor too. My primary focus is to escape the heat.We will be very tired indeed from the flight - it will take about 40 hours in total so a cool mountain resort seems like the best answer for our recovery.
Sally
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:19 AM

salthegal:

My wife and I spent a few days at Postales del Plata, Valle de Uco lodge and Resto. It is the province of Mendoza not far from the Volcan Tupungato. We could see the volano in the mornings. Later in the day it clouded over. We were there in February.

We had a great rest here. The accommodation is not large, about 12 rooms in two wings. A pool, quiet grounds in a vinyard setting. We were invited to wander the vine yard as we pleased. The only noise we heard was their small tractor in the morning working the rows in the vine yard.

They have a dining room with a limited selection but gourmet presentation.

They are near the town of Tupungato.

The same group have another location very near to the suberbs out of the town of Mendoza but we did not see that place. If the quality is as good as what we had it too would be a winner.

The winery [where we stayed] was run by a local manager but owned [or partnered] with an American. I believe that their wine is sold in the US.

This was one of the best places we stayed on that trip at when over time we travelled from Punta Arenas at the southern tip of Chile, to Santiago, to Mendoza, to San Juan, to Buenos Aires then home. It was a 9 week trip.

I am sure that you can google Postales del Plata and get more detail from them.

It was quiet, cool, very safe, first quality and the staff were most accommodating. Rodolfo there, a general handy man, could not do enough for us.

Hope you have a good rest. We sure did.

Woodie