Acapulco cold feet?? HELP ME!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Lilly

Acapulco cold feet?? HELP ME!

My husband and I will be celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary in October and have made reservations for Acapulco. We're booked in the Fiesta Americana Condesa. It sounds perfect - Beach, sun, fun, cocktails, no kids or responsibilities for 5 days. However, for some reason, I'm getting cold feet. I'm not sure if it's because neither of us speak ANY spanish or because some of the posts have said the city is a bit old and run down. If anyone has been to Acapulco or stayed in the above hotel, please give me some reassurances. Thanks for your help!!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Susan

After going to Mexico many times, we made our first trip to the Acapulco area last March. I must admit it wasn't my first choice - we planned a week in Morelia and wanted to spend a week on a beach somewhere as well. We were using ff miles and Acapulco was about all we could get for the beach! <BR> <BR>But you know, we enjoyed ourselves. We stayed outside of Acapulco in Pie de la Cuesta and took a few day trips into the city. Sure it's big and the traffic is very busy, but it's kind of interesting. We went to see the cliff divers one evening and had dinner at the restaurant overlooking the divers. The dinner was surprisingly good for fixed price and the show was good. The area seems like Acapulco in the 50's - quite cool. We also spent time in the zocalo - that's the most Mexican area that tourists might see. We also spent an afternoon at a beach in the newer area and that was fun. There's a museum that we also visited in the fort - quite interesting as well. <BR> <BR>It's not my favourite area of Mexico, but overall I'm glad we went.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 02:35 AM
hiho

As far as your concern about not speaking Spanish, you have nothing to fear. You are only the umpteenth million English speaking tourist to visit. <BR> <BR>As far as being dirty, it is not bad. Ther are not really many sights to see there (the divers mentioned above is one of the top sights. If you are going mainly to relax, enjoy the beach, and for nightlife you will be fine. You may be happier int he newer hotel section mentioned above. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:47 AM
JJ

My husband and I have been to Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, and Cancun. Neither of us speaks any Spanish--not a problem. Almost everyone there speaks excellent English and they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. <BR> <BR>In Aca, try to get in touch with Pepe, the owner of the black & white cab company. He is very fluent; gave us s day tour of Aca; he knows everyone in the city; made restaurant reservations for us; etc. <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Acapulco Princess; out a ways from downtwown, but very nice. We cabbed into the city most nights for dinner. Su Casa was my favorite place-very romantic and great margaritas and food. Have a great vacation. <BR> <BR>PS-be sure to take Immodium A-D!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:32 AM
cousin oliver

I stayed at the Elcano Hotel in Acapulco this past January and had a great time! I frequented the Condesa beach in front of the Americana Condesa every day. It had more goings on there than in front of my own hotel's beach. I personally enjoyed Acapulco more than Cancun because it offered more history and mexican flavor. Believe it or not, the most authentic Neopolitan cuisine I've had since I lived in Naples was also to be found in Acapulco, amazing. The only things that bothered me were the mulititude of vendors (including children that weren't in school) on the beach that would not leave me alone and the homeless mothers on the streets at night with their toddlers and babies; hard to see being a parent myself. Other than that I had a wonderful time and would go again to Acapulco in a heartbeat. Wonderful beaches, sunny clear skies every day with temps averaging 90F. I do not speak spanish but most people understood me anyway.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:45 AM
leslieh

We were in Acapulco 2 years ago in Dec. It was my first trip to Mexico. We stayed at the Camino Real Acapulco Diamante and it was wonderful. I highly reccomend this hotel. Its in the newest resort area, away from downtown, excellent service, good food and only a 10 minute erratic (!) taxi ride to town. We saw the cliff divers (go see it because its the touristy thing to do-do NOT eat at the restaurant/observation deck...not so good at all). We went downtown twice-same observations as others who have posted-went to a couple of nightclubs which was fun but we stayed at our hotel most of the time because it was so relaxing. Have fun...we know enough spanish to ask for the check...don't worry!L

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Lisa

The Condesa (back in my day) late 80's was the party place to be. It is clean, smack in the middle of the Costera, and lively. You can walk out of your hotel and your on the strip, near the restraunts and so forth. I prefer a more sophisticated quiet hotel, but you may not. We all have different tastes. <BR> <BR> There is some entertainment that can only be had in Acapulco. Acapulco is a true port city, not a piece of land that was fabricated to attract tourists (like Cancun). Accept it for what it is, it is not dirty and old. I lived there years ago and travel back often. Don't you dare leave Acapulco without seeing the Cliff divers by candlelight at night, world famous. You must see Pie de le Cuesta, for its sunsets, and travel the lagoon on a jet ski or boat(not a touristy sight). Speaking of the poor people begging in the streets, we just invite them to sit at our table as we eat on the costera, last time we were there we had the pleasure to dine with two cute little street urchins, they filled there bellies with tacos and coke. We pass out money to the poor, eat well, and have a great time. <BR>have fun!!