Reload this Page >

BEST WAY TO VIEW COTOPAXI IN QUITO?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:16 AM
NATALIE

We're 60 year old celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary in the Galapagos Islands. At the end of this trip we have 3 days in Quito. We're not climbers but are good walkers.Are there guided group tours to the tops of the volcanoes? Will the altitude affect us? Is there transport that takes you high up? Would we need 1 or 2 days for this?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:50 PM
Escritora

Natalie and Bruce: There is a train that makes day trips from Quito station to Boliche Recreational Park on Cotopaxi. Trains depart @ 8AM every Sunday and returns around 2:30 PM; enroute you can view the Avenue of Volcanos and colonial haciendas. Phone: 582.921. Note that this information is nearly a year old and so may need updating. <BR> <BR>Altitude: Do you live at sea level? I found it rough going from NYC direct to Quito (9200 feet), and I'm 41; it doesn't get easier as you get older. On the other hand, mine was the most extreme altitude reaction of anyone in our group of 19, and it was manageable: a badly upset stomach the first morning and insomnia were the extent of it. Even if you have a lesser reaction, the altitude will have some effect on you, yes, and unfortunately the acclimation period is roughly the 3 days you'll be there. Don't push yourself too hard and remember this if you, like me, need to replenish electrolytes: Gatorade is sold in Quito, but they won't know what you mean if you pronounce it as we do. Down there, it's Gah-toe-RAH-day. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have more questions about Quito or the Galapagos. You'll love it!

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 06:36 AM
natalie

Escritora, Enjoyed your response to our questions and tried to reach you by e-mail but was not able to use the e-mail address that you gave. Please resend since we had a few more questions. Thank you.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Escritora

Sorry about the email confusion. You'll find many "nospam" addresses on Fodors, all fakes, all used deliberately to foil junk emailers ("spammers"). I have contacted you at your email address; if you prefer, you can post further questions here and I can respond.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 03:11 AM
me too

Yes, Natalie why won't you post your questions here. This forum is for other people too like us who are interested in travel to Galapagos.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Escritora

Of course, metoo, you also can post your own questions here. I'll check in again Monday and am happy to help if I can.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Escritora

Topping <BR> <BR>Natalie and Bruce--unclear from your latest post on this same topic what information it is you need. Did this excursion not work out for you?