? about mayan palace rivira maya

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i booked a week at this placwe with absolutly no knowledge about it. any info would be great. what is it like?
do i need to rent a car for this place.or will the bus work fine?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM

I just spend 4 days there and returned yesterday. It is a very large place, mostly American clientele. The beach area is sandy but the getting into the water requires water shoes as there are many rocks. You can walk south to the Iberostar and enter the water there about a 10 min walk. The pool area is large and it appears they are adding additional pools on the west side of the shop area. I always rent a car as it works best for me. If you walk to the entrance (I think they said there was a shuttle there but I didn't see one go in that direction) you can get a bus or collectivo. I really didn't explore this avenue since I didn't need it. There is a parking lot to leave a car. Personally, this is not a place I would go to but my friend had a timeshare there so I went along. It is not my cup of tea but there were a lot of families there with small children who seemed to be enjoying it. There are a few restaurants including an evening buffet, a restaurant by the pool which served breakfast, lunch and dinner and a dressier restaurant that we did not go to. We did go to the buffet one night and I found it overpriced but that's just my opinion. I would rather eat in Playa Del Carmen or Puerto Morelos. If you enjoy the pool and are not looking for a beach vacation you'll be fine. It is about a 20 min drive to Playa Del Carmen, 10 min to Puerto Morelos and 20 min to Cancun.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks. that is great info. anyone else?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I may be too late, but I don't recommend getting a car. If you search this site, most people had problems either getting pulled over and money being extorted or ripped of trying to fill the gas tank.

There's several other routes including a fabulous Playa Express bus that's about $1 (11 pesos) each way. You catch that by walking across the street from the main entrance.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Yes, the collectivo is inexpensive but in all the years I've been renting a car I've never had a problem. I've rented from several companies and go down about 4 times a year. Some people do have difficulty - if you speed you will get pulled over, if you don't pay attention at the gas pump you may get overcharged. This has never been the case in my instance and the flexibility I have with a car far outweights any of the potential negatives at this point.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:06 PM

Ditto to what colokid had to say about the pool and beach. Just watch out for those extremely aggressive timeshare salemen. They promise you the moon but none of their promises are in the written contract and lots of people have been scammed by them. Check out www.mayanresorts.info before you go. Forewarned is forearmed.