A few questions before our departure in 5 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Do we need a SUV or would a mid-size car be OK? We had rented a SUV cause we were going to Monteverde but have since decided otherwise. We are going to Flamingo Beach area, Arenal, Poas, Savegre and then flying to BdC.

2) Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go dancing(prefer Latin music)in the
Flamingo beach or surrounding area? What is appropriate dress attire?

3) Any suggestions on activity on our last day when we return from BdC around 3 pm. We wont have a car.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

4) Can anyone give me directions from Flamingo beach to Arenal?

Thanks once again
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM

crlover10, you won't want to attempt that drive down into the Rio Savegre valley without a 4 wheel drive! It's nice to have the extra clearance all over the country, actually, as roads vary from place to place. Even in the Flamingo area, roads very, and are generally not great.

Once you get to Flamingo (don't remember where you are staying) ask around about dancing. Someone will be able to advise you. Las Brisas in Potrero might be an option.

Flamingo to Arenal: I THINK your best route is up to Liberia, then follow the Interamerican to Las Canas, where you'll follow signs to Tileran. From there, follow signs on to Lake Arenal and Arenal. It will take you about 4 hours, more if you stop for a meal or souvenir shopping or sight seeing, of course. Toad Hall is an interesting little place to have a snack and a pleasant view.

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:30 PM

I have GOT to quit Fodoring and sleep! Meant to say "roads VARY" not "roads very". . .good night all!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Hello Shillmac, You sure keep late hours and if I remember you are a teacher and would have to get up early for that.

Thanks for the advice on the SUV so I will stay with that then. Was hoping it wasnt needed but you would know best.

Anyone have any suggestions to question 3? Thought of doing the Doka coffee trip but we are staying at Hotel Bonita the last day and they offer the Cafe Britt one.

Does anyone know what dress code is appropriate to go dancing?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I would say you can go out dancing most any where in a pair of casual dress pants/shorts and a casual dress shirt - short sleeve, button down.

A lot of places are okay with a decent t-shirt and cargo shorts, but obviously it depends.

Not a lot of dress codes in Costa Rica but there are some up scale resorts and clubs so it is hard to guess where you'll end up.

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

hello Shillmac, I ve heard someone mention Toad Hall before. Where exactly is Toad Hall at so I wont miss it. Sounds like a good stop off place.

Thanks Linda for the info on the dress code.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Toad Hall is about an hour to an hour and a half from Arenal--so about halfway, perhaps, between Flam and Arenal. It would be on your right (I believe) driving from Flamingo to Arenal. Nice gifts, great little coffee shop with baked goodies and a gorgeous view to enjoy as you partake! Good rest stop.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac, Sounds like a good stopoff point. Is it safe to park your vehicle there with our luggage and other similar places. If not, what do you do when you are inside or enjoying a view and out of sight of your vehicle?

What do you do in places like Poas volcano where they have problems? We will be leaving Poas for Savegre in the morning and want to see the volcano on the way(this is our only opportunity in the AM to see it) Do we have to leave our luggage at the hotel and go see the volcano and backtrack to pickup our luggage?

Thanks for the help once again