Need help with 7day 1st trip to CR

Feb 4th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Need help with 7day 1st trip to CR

It will be our first visit to CR in early May. We would love to have suggestions on the below:

*Fly into Liberia and head to Tamarindo to Sueno del Mar for two nights...other hotel suggestions, transportation suggestion, must sees?

*Head to Monteverde for two or three nights at El Sapo Dorado...Fonda Vela or other hotels, transportation suggestions? Plan to hike reserve and do canopy adventure. Other must sees?

*Considering taxi/boat/taxi to Arenal...worth going for one night? Stay at Tobacon, Arenal Paraiso or Lost Iguana, transportation to Four Seasons suggestions? If we forgo this, is it best to rent 4x4 for Monteverde or hire driver. Suggestions for transportation companies?

*Two nights at Four Seasons...other beach hotel suggestions...must sees? Plan to go to Rhicon de la Vieja.

*Will fly out of Liberia.

Any suggestions you can offer would be great. Thanks!

Feb 4th, 2005, 08:32 PM

You have a very good itinerary for 10 days! Hard as it is to choose, you are going to lose a LOT of time in moving from one place to another. You will give up the better part of 3 days in transferring and resettling, and may feel as if you haven't really had the time to enjoy fully the places you've stayed. I would suggest one beach location and either Monteverde or Arenal.

Depending on your arrival time, you might want to head on over to either Arenal or Monteverde for the first part of the week, then back to the beach to finish up nearby before departure. If you just can't stand to drop Arenal or Monteverde, then head straight to Monteverde for 2 nights, over to Arenal for 2 nights (or vice versa), then back to the Four Seasons for the last 3-4 nights. From Four Seasons, you can take a day trip down to Tamarindo (1.5 hour) and a day trip (there are good tours available) to Rincon de la Vieja.
Feb 6th, 2005, 06:05 AM

In 11 days we did what you're planning and the driving from one place to another is rewarded by spectacular views of the countryside. We rented our own car to get around and it was worth it... the worst road is the one from Tabacon along the north shore of Lake Arenal looping around the south shore to Monteverde. It does not matter whether you have a driver or drive yourself- it is BONE JARRING. The road IN Monteverde is the same- the one to the Pacific is fine. I do not recommend staying at Tabacon... the spa is great but the hotel rooms have a motel feel and you can hear everything through the walls.
Feb 6th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the revised trip plan:

Fly into Liberia and drive to Arenal. Stay 2 nights. Either at Lost Iguana or Arenal Paraiso. Plan on doing caves/suspension bridges and cayoning. QUESTION: Preference of the two above hotels. Has anyone done canyoning with Pure Trek. Best tour companies to book with. Go thru the hotel?

Drive from Arenal to Monteverde. Stay two nights at El Sapo Dorado. Hike and do canopy adventure. QUESTION: Who to book tours with. It seem Sky Trek is recommended for the canopy.

Drive from Monteverde to Tamarindo. Stay three nights at Sueno Del Mar. Day Trip to Rincon. QUESTION: is the diving good here? Rincon day trip worth it?

OTHER QUESTIONS:

*Best source of directions and map
*What is type of money is the best to bring?
*What clothing do you suggestion for May 6-13. We plan to pack very light and each bring a backpack.
*Recommened bug repellent?

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are very excited about our trip! If we have left anything out...please let me know.

Feb 6th, 2005, 01:14 PM

We enjoyed our stay at Arenal Paraiso in January 2004. No hotel has a better direct view of the current lava flow.
Feb 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM
dcd

We did virtually the same trip in 8 days this past December. You might want to check out my three part trip report for info and lodging on all 3 areas and the transportation issues. You can click on my initials and that should direct you to my reports. I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip!

Dave