A few questions about Bosque del Cabo

May 16th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

A few questions about Bosque del Cabo

Wow, what a resource! I came here a few weeks ago for info about the Osa Peninsula and after reading many, many posts, almost all of my questions have already been answered.

My husband and I are Florida natives and have not left the state of Florida during our 20 year marriage. We've perused the many wonders of our state from top to bottom and OK...we've crossed the Georgia border a time or two visiting relatives, but we've never been on a big trip. Finances have mainly governed this as we'd rather save than spend. But recently, I inherited a sum of money and we've decided since we're both pushing 50, we might as well get our butts out of Florida and do something exotic.

At first, (and on a whim) I said, "Let's go to Jamaica!" My husband, who is very agreeable, said, "OK!"

The main thing we didn't want was a driving vacation. I saw where we could fly directly to Jamaica so it's where I started. After posting on the travel forum over on reddit.com what we enjoyed (deserted beaches, waterfalls, wildlife, birds/butterflies, exotic plants, no people, no shopping, no driving, local foods, rustic, etc) somebody recommended that I probably wouldn't enjoy Jamaica or the Caribbean so much and I might want to try Belize. So that got me interested in ecolodges and led me to Central America where I found Lapas Rios on the Osa. After researching the Osa on the net and reading Trip Advisor, I was sold on Costa Rica. What a gem of a place.

Somehow, I followed a link to Fodors forum (here!) and y'all have talked me into Bosque del Cabo. At least for 5 days of our trip.
Our tentative plans are to fly from Tally to Miami, then to San Jose and stay over night before catching either a Sansa or Nature Air flight early the next day to Puerto Jiminez. Since we aren't big flyers or experienced travelers, we decided to take it slow and not try to make it to Osa in one day.

We were thinking of staying at BdC five nights, then moving on to one of the other lodges in the area for two-three days.

I do have a question or two. I am really looking forward to seeing the Pacific for the first time. I've heard there are 400 steps down, which physically wouldn't be a big problem but stadium stairs give me vertigo (stairs not heights) and if they go straight down, or are treacherous, I'm gonna either fall out, or miss out! If they are winding and invite stopping and chilling from time to time, I think I could handle it. Does anyone have any pics of the stairs? I've looked at tons of pics posted here and saw one where you can see where they meet the beach, but nothing clear. Any help, or extra descriptions of the stairs would be appreciated.

Also, if the darn things are scary, which one of the Osa lodges on the Pacific side are most beach accessible? That would be our second stop. The beach is not the most important part of the trip, but I'd hate to miss out on wetting my feet in the Pacific.

Does anyone happen to have a map of the Osa that points out where each lodge is located? That would be very cool.

Thanks for all of your previous help via the postings and for future answers to my questions!
May 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Researching is almost half the fun, right?

There are no stairs at BDC that you must take to get around the main grounds, so you are safe there. There is a trail to the beach with zig-zagging steps and I want to say 177 steps (maybe 277?) but don't quote me on that. Someone recently counted and posted the # here on Fodors. On the way back up plenty of areas to stop and enjoy the views. Often in the company of monkeys!

So far I think you are on the right track!
May 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM

For your second stop, beach time, you might take a look at Iguana Lodge or Black Turtle Lodge.
May 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM

The steps down to the Pacific side of BdC are pretty steep, but there are level areas (switchbacks) where you can stop and rest (more of a concern for the trip back up!). I suggest taking one of the nifty bamboo walking sticks available near the front desk before you head out -- in fact, I recommend taking one every time you head out. They help a lot with steadying yourself on those steep trails -- and for investigating any areas on the trails that might look "snaky" (though they keep the trails pretty well raked). That's probably just my paranoia talking, but that's what I used them for.
May 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Oh, also, congrats on this first trip! Costa Rica was also our first big trip in about 14 or more years (a couple years ago). You'll love it, but you'll have to keep going back -- that's the downside: it sort of ruins you for a lot of other places.
May 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Here's a pic from the Pacific Trail - http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink I don't think the steps are akin to stadium steps, it's like 15-20, then turn, 15-20, turn, and so on all the way to the bottom. I will be there on the 28th for 6 nights, will try to remember to take some more pics of the steps. Funny enough, even though coming back up is a drag, it took us the same amount of time as going down. There's often dart frogs and monkeys on the trail, so plenty to stop and check out.

There are many nice places to stay in addition to Bosque del Cabo. If you want to be closer to Carate, and Corcovado Park, there is Lookout Inn, Luna Lodge and Laguna Vista Villas. Closer to town, Puerto Jimenez, there is Iguana Lodge. Also a short boat ride across the Goldo Dulce there is Playa Nicuesa.

I think considering what you're looking for you've chosen well! The Osa, and Bosque, are special places.
May 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info and tully, thanks for the pic! I'm sure I can handle those stairs easily. I was picturing something totally exposed and steep.
May 17th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Black Cat,
I finally found your second question. Which of the Osa Lodges on the Pacific side is most beach accessible? I think that Lookout Inn might be the closest, but essentially the same water with slightly less wave action can be found at the mouth of Golfo Dulce, and Iguana Lodge is by far the most developed and convenient to the water there. Even then, the wave action can be strong enough (at some points in the tide cycle) to discourage some swimmers. The houses at the Casa Bambu complex offer excellent access to some of the best beaches, but these are primarily rental houses. Encanta la Vida is two minutes from the water, but has no satisfied boosters here. Personally, I would (and already did) combine BdC with Iguana Lodge. Iguana Lodge has meals that will rival anything on the peninsula. It has palapas by the beach, much better proximity to fishing charters and the trips to the animal sanctuary, and the availability of airconditioned rooms if you don't mind missing the sounds of the great outdoors. You are fretting the wrong frets. Ask about snakes, bats, and simian projectile pooping, then you'll get some action around here.
May 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I grew up (and live) in a fairly unpopulated area of Florida. Around here, if you go in the woods near dusk, you have to cover your mouth as to not inhale a lungful of mosquitoes. I am all to familiar with snakes, bats, spiders, bugs etc. I know the ones in CR will be more exotic, but frankly, the critters don't scare me as much as stairs!
May 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM

You'll love BdC. And we have combined our time there with a couple or 3 nights at Iguana Lodge twice--it made for a good combo. Highly recommend both.

As for the Pacific, once you reach the beach (steps aren't a big deal--just will wind you going back up), be very careful wetting your feet in the water. There are many big rocks and boulders; the waves can easily knock you into the rocks (been there, done that). It's a rough sea at that particular location. There are wonderful tide pools if you'll walk to the right down the beach a ways--and also a really cool waterfall that you can stand right under.

You guys are going to have a great time! Congratulations and enjoy. Hope to read a trip report when you return.